Connected but not connected

I've been trying to add a wireless dell Lattitude M 600 with a built in wireless card which seems to connect everywhere (i.e. Starbucks). I am trying to add it to me Netgear WGR 614 and the indicator light says that it is receiving a strong signal from the wireless network and you can even see the network name in My Network Places. Unfortunately, the only computer that it sees is the new laptop, not either of the two desktop computers that are Ethernet connected to the router. Internet also fails. I have granted permission for the new computer to be connected to the router by MAC address (for security). I can't see the laptop from either of the desktops. Any ideas?

Reply to
MonkeyBlair70
Loading thread data ...

Firewall, Network settings...........assuming you are using some form of protection, have you set Trusted zones in Network settings. I use Norton IS where Firewall, Network settings contains all IP addresses that can see each other on my wireless network.

Reply to
Ted Eboy

"MonkeyBlair70" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Do you have personal FW(s) running on the machines? If you do, then disable them and see if the machines can see each other in the same Work Group.

Are you saying the Internet fails when the laptop tries to access it? If this is true, what IP is the machine getting from the router when you enter IPconfig /all at the DOS Command Prompt? If the machine is getting a 169 IP, then the O/S cannot get an IP from the router and is timing out and assigning the 169 IP to the NIC.

The 169 IP will not allow the machine to access the Internet, since it never got an IP from the DHCP server on the router. This is usually due to some type of mis-confguration between the router and the wireless NIC. The

169 will allow the machine to access other machines on the router's LAN.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Reply to
MonkeyBlair70

Reply to
MonkeyBlair70

Well if you did an Ipconfig /all and it came back with nothing, which I have never heard of, then it's not making contact with the router to get an IP. Yeah, you can have contact wireless and signals being sent but it really doesn't have contact with the router.

And that is Ipconfig b/all b = blank or space.

There is also Ipconfig /release followed by Ipconfig /renew to make the machine obtian an IP from the router.

There is also Ipconfig /?

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Go back to basics.

First, connect the laptop to the router using an ethernet cable, ie NOT wireless. Ensure that it can get an address, connect, see the other machines etc in this mode.

THEN, when thats all working, try wireless. Disable any encryption, security etc. Slowly re-introduce stuff till it stops working, then figure out what you broke.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

You need the correct encryption entered into your new laptop. Or disable the encryption on the router and then try to connect to it. Are you sure that you have wireless enabled on the router? I will ASSuME that you do based on you being able to see the router with your laptop. ;-)

just some newbie thoughts. ;-)

Reply to
One out of many daves

Reply to
MonkeyBlair70

Great idea, but I still can't figure this out. It worked great using the Ethernet. I thought that i could just manually change the IP address to address I received in Ethernet mode. Won't allow it. I also became excited that I now had a different MAC address, but I now think that that is because of the two different methods of connecting (wireless and wired). I also hooked up my other wireless again to verify connection. No problem.

Reply to
MonkeyBlair70

Hey, if you gave the machine an IP manually and it cannot access the Admin screen on the router through the browser by giving the router's HTTP IP address, then the machine still doesn't have a valid contact with the router concerning using an IP on or from the router.

Some times the TCP/IP Stack on the O?S can be locked and will not release the condition of the 169 situation.

You may have to reset the TCP/IP stack or Winsock on the machine. You should find the procedure for the O/S you are using ans see if that doesn't correct your problem.

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You should NOT give the wireless card the SAME IP address. It should be one on the same subnet. If your Ethernet card was say 192.168.3.5 then try something like 192.168.3.49 (something that does not already exist) make sure the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

John Steele

Reply to
John Steele

I read through several of the articles that you referred me to regarding reseting the TCP/IP stack. I was a little frightened by the potential results if you do something wrong. Also, I am able to connect the wireless computer just fine through an ethernet connection. I only get the 169 IP address and difficulty when I attempt to connect wirelessly. One other currious thing I can't explain is that when I click on the little icon that says updates are ready I am able to install updates without a hitch although I am only connected to the internet wirelessly.

Reply to
MonkeyBlair70

And you have seen bytes transfered on the wireless on the update? I find that hard to believe. You can use Active Ports free to see if you actually have a connection to a remote IP over the Internet when doing some update with the 169 IP.

I don't know. After all that you have gone through, you may have something that is defective with the card or the router. I would get on the phone with Tech Support for both devices and have them check things out and if you have to demand a replacement under warrantee get things replaced.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Reply to
MonkeyBlair70

I have been following this thread ...... and have the same Dell 6000 and 2 Dell Desktops, Belkin Router wired to one, wireless to the other desktop(belkin card)and the 6000 laptop with it's Intel ProWireless

2200 card.

All working fine PROVIDED I use an 'open' network. As soon as I enable the security feature either WEP or WPA it breaks. Not immediately however, I might get 6 logins with the laptop all fine, then the dreaded 'Aquiring Network Address' but it never does ..... despite being listed in the router. Then the desktop with the card will have a go at the infamous 'Aquiring Network Address' but it never does, no particular order or sequence for these 'errors' just when it feels like it. Could run fine for 10 days then AAAhhhhh .... the dreaded 'Aquiring Network Address' on... Oh lets pick the laptop this time!!!. Run an open network now for 2 weeks NO PROBLEMS whatever. Just my 50p worth!!

Reply to
Jack Ouzzi

Reply to
Paul Lower

Reply to
MonkeyBlair70

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.