-------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------

Reply to
Fred Marshall
Loading thread data ...

In my home have 3 PCs connected through a HUB/modem using Ethernet cards. They have a common Workgroup Name and not using a Domain, and IP address

192.168.0.10 / 20 / 30 subnet mask 255.255.255.0. DNS empty. Computers "A" and "B" using Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC driver: 5.615.716.2004 /16.07-2004 LapTop "C" using Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC driver 5.605.804.2003 /11-08-2003

This is what happens:

Using "View workgroup computers": Computer "A" can view PCs "A", "B" and "C" but can only access it's own files (on "A") giving the following message as I try to access one of the others :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- \\\\A is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access is denied.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Computer "B" can view PCs "A", "B" and "C" but can only access it's own files (on "B") and the files on "A" giving the same message as I try to access "C" :

Computer "C" can view PCs "A", "B" and "C" but can only access it's own files (on "C") and the files on "A" giving the same message as I try to access "B" :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- \\\\B is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am getting bald of puuled out hair in desperation, what am I missing ?

TIA A.Soares Portugal

Reply to
Alfa Sierra

Hi,

Which OS (versions of Windows, e.g., Windows 98, 2000, XP, or other OS) are you running on A, B, and C? Are they all the same version?

Also, do all of the machines have username/passwords? I've seen a situation where a machine with one Windows version couldn't access files, etc. on a machine with a different Windows version (don't remember which versions) unless the target machine had a non-blank password configured.

Once you get past the "can't ping B" problem (per Fred's post, you may have a firewall running on B?), this might be more of a Windows networking problem, and you might want to post on one of the NGs related to that.

Jim

Alfa Sierra wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
ohaya

Furthermore, Computer "A" self pings OK, pings "B" NOK and pings "C" OK Computer "B" self pings OK, pings "A" OK and pings "C" OK Computer "C" self pings OK, pings "B" NOK and pings "A" OK

Reply to
Alfa Sierra

Hi,

Have you tried disabling Mcafee Firewall on all 3 machines? I don't have it on any of my machines anymore, but if I recall, you can right-click on the icon in the systray, and disable the firewall (just for testing).

Then try your ping tests.

If disabling the firewall fixes the ping problem, then you can try to see if can browse among the machines, and if that doesn't work, then it's probably time to post on one of the MS newsgroups (try microsoft.public.windowsxp.networking or something like that, maybe).

A couple of possibilities to get you going:

- Need to have File and Printer sharing enabled on all machines

- Need to enable Netbios over TCP/IP

- Did you install XP SP2? That locks down a lot of stuff, and maybe that's stopping you from browing.

Jim

Reply to
ohaya

I have the same OS = Windows XP on the 3PCs I Have the same McAfee Firewall on the 3 PCs.

Today I tryed a new Ethernet on computer "B", but the same results with Pings and connections :(

This is tough

A.Soares

Reply to
Alfa Sierra

Hi,

If all you want (as I've interpreted your posts) is to share files and maybe printers between/among the 3 PCs, then I don't think you need to set up a domain. You should be able to do that with just a workgroup... just make sure that all 3 machines are using the same workgroup name (right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Network Identification), and also that you have File and Printer sharing installed and enabled in your network configuration on each machine. Also that "Netbios over TCP/IP" is enabled.

Jim

Reply to
ohaya

Don't set up a domain.

The firewalls need to have the Trusted Zone set up so that the PCs can communicate without being blocked. You will need their IP address range for that.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Marshall

The problem of the "ping" of PC "B" was the McAfee Firewall. Although it was disabled still was blocking it. I reinstalled it and now all PCs are pinging, but comunications through them, not yet. I was told that I should use the main PC as a Server and the others as slaves, usind a domain. I don't know if this would be the correct aproach for the problem.

Anyhow thanks for any help Adriano

Reply to
Alfa Sierra

To be honest You must have properly configured TCP/IP protocol on this machines. To make it simple: load NetBEUI protocol, set same workgroup, enable file and printer sharing and it must work.

Reply to
Stanislaw Chmielarz

The problem is Service Pack 2 from Microsoft. Although the firewall was disabled it still was interfering with the comunications. The problem is that I installed this service pack before the network. O reinstalled the Windows and I could setup the net work withou problem. Now I will install the SP2 and see what happens.

Tnx all of you Adriano

Reply to
Alfa Sierra

Hi,

Believe it or not, I had thought about SP2, but for some reason didn't mention it in my posts. Sorry.

But, I'm glad that you found your problem.

Jim

Reply to
ohaya

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.