Guidance in writing WLAN software for Linux

Hi! I am planning to write a WLAN software for Pocket PC and Linux. I can program in C and have fairly good knowledge of 802.11 MAC and have read (and got a good understanding of) the standard. I am don't have idea on what is the starting point in gaining the skills needed to write the software. The software finds the SSID's available (and info such as type of network, infrastructure or Ad-hoc), tries to associate/authenticate to a signal based on their security configuration (WEP, WPA-TKIP, 802.1x) and get other information such as signal strength etc.

Thanks in advance, BB.

P.S: Sorry, if it is a wrong group for this question (or wrong question for this group)

Reply to
Bumblebeetle
Loading thread data ...

If you have as much knowledge as you claim and have read so much, why do you not have a clue? You remind me of someone that has just got a university degree and has to be taught again! The program you describe is called NetStumbler, it would be easier to reverse engineer and make it fit a pocket PC. If you don't know much then tht would be a start. Programs like the one you mention are already available, so I wouldn't waste your time.

Reply to
tony

Thanks for your time, I didn't say i know how to develop such programs, all i know is about

802.11 technology and not how to develop it. All i know is C programming, and i want to know what are the books i need to look at, for gaining the ability to write such a program ( say, Netstumbler).

BB

Reply to
Bumblebeetle

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.