Wifi to Wifi speeds

Hi all,

Anyone know the answer ?

What is the maximum possible speed for data transfer from wifi client to wifi client (both PC's) on the same access point with no encryption and running at 802.11g speeds (54Mbits connection) ? Assume the speed of the AP is not a factor.

ta,

Doz

Reply to
Doz
Loading thread data ...

Doz hath wroth:

I think(?) that what you're asking is how fast can you go from wireless client to wireless client through an access point. For

54Mbits/sec that would be about 10 to 12Mbits/sec assuming 802.11b compatibility was disabled on the access point. If left on, figure about 5-7Mbits/sec.

See the table at: |

formatting link
are the max speeds from one client to the access point or to a

100baseT or Gigabit Ethernet connected computah plugged into the access point with CAT5 cable. In other words, one wireless hop. For two hops, the maximum is exactly half the speeds in the chart. However, this is optimistic as the timing has to be absolutely perfect and the two clients should not be so close as to intefere with each other. 30-40% of the maximum speed is more realistic.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 19:31:41 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Real world test between two notebook computers both with very good signal on the same 802.11g network (with 802.11b compatibility turned on): 367,118,336 bytes transferred in 4:38 (average of 3 trials in each direction), for a net transfer rate of 1,320,570 bytes per second, or

10,564,556 bits per second.
Reply to
John Navas

John Navas hath wroth:

Is it my imagination or do we actually agree on something?

Did you have 802.11b compatibility enabled? Your 10.5Mbits/sec result is what I would expect if you had 802.11b compatibility disabled and is roughly what I predicted (10 to 12Mbits/sec) above.

However, I will admit that the 5 to 7 Mbits/sec estimate will vary radically with router chipset and firmware. There seems to be some work being done on dealing with the slowdown caused by 802.11b compatibility.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:30:09 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Your imagination. :)

( We actually agree on a great many things, but I don't see much point in simply posting "True!" :)

Yes -- checked to be sure -- on all three units (Netgear WGR614v5 set to "g and b", Atheros AR5004G Mini PCI, and Belkin Wireless G Notebook Card, all with latest firmware/drivers).

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.