Sniffer Software?

Long story short. I have several WEP encrypted networks available to me and want a way to tell which signal is the strongest. Is there some decent freeware around that has an adjustable refresh rate so that I can see which network will work for me at that time? And inform me if another network may be faster or have better signal strength?

Reply to
HotRod
Loading thread data ...

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 13:51:23 -0400, "HotRod" wrote in :

No way to tell speed without actual testing because that would depend on network (wired as well as wireless) load.

Windows XP and most third-party Wi-Fi utilities will show signal strength of detected access points.

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
paul

Reply to
paul

THANKS, Net Stumbler was what I was looking for. It has more than enough information for me. One other question

Since I have several entworks that I have access to I'm tring to find the best way to connect to the strongest signal in my shop and share it with the other computers there. I have a WRT54G router running DD-WRT in client mode but it's a wierd process to switch sources. Is the easiest thing to just put a wireless card in my main computer and then use AdHoc connections? Or is there a better option? I'd prefer to not have to setup the connection for each different router.

Reply to
HotRod

You could try setting the SSID in DD-WRT to "any" which is a special SSID that most wireless client use to indicate it should just pick any network and try to connect. It won't really pick the strongest, but if it loses one connection it is like to jump to another.

This won't likely work if there is encryption as DD-WRT only holds 1 encryption setting at a time. If all access points have the same settings, it might.

Reply to
Bryant Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.