wifi range

hi all, sorry for my english my laptop wifi performance is bad. compaq v2000 turion. i've got a big flat but a small bank money. i'm not interested in upgrading my card - it's very good- am not interested in reflectors or dishes or whatever i see on internet. what i want to know and can't to find is inter-computer hack to increase the range of signal. in other worlds, is there some way to configure my card - or laptop - to pickup my weak signal?? there must be "hack" to pickup my "distant" signal but i haven't been able to find it in system data. the presario aren't helping nor neither are the d-link peoples. so the question is, does there exist any advice for changing the settings of a computer with wifi card to pick up larger distance? thank you much

gideon

Reply to
G
Loading thread data ...

Thus spake G:

But you don't tell us the make or model of the card. I presume it's D-Link? What model?

There is no way to boost the reception of a distant signal in any card, that I know of. Certain cards allow you to increase the *output* of the transmitted signal, but that is only half of the formula (you must increase output power *and* receiver sensitivity in order to successfully increase your card's performance).

If your card has an external antenna connector (is there a small plastic cover on the side of the card?), you can use an external antenna which may -- depending on the antenna -- increase both your received signal and your transmitted signal.

But then, you're not interested in that solution...

Good luck,

Reply to
DaveC

Not interested in focussing the signal via a reflector or changing antenna?

Because it's a computer, there *must* be a hack to quadruple the power output and magically increase the receive sensitivity of the radio, is that it?

No, go back to the first solution and look at tinfoil reflectors!

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

formatting link
EZ-12. I choose to ignore the "i'm not interested".

Reply to
dold

Your English is better than most in this newsgroup.

A reflector or different antenna is the right answer.

However, there are a few tricks. You can always trade speed for range. Normally, the 802.11g access points are setup for "automatic" which means go as fast as possible. This is a good thing under most circumstances, but it doesn't do much for the range. The access point will constantly be trying faster and faster speeds, resulting in constantly varying connection speed with weak signal.

The trick is to use a fixed speed at the access point or router. I suggest you start with 6Mbits/sec OFDM. The client radio will automagically adjust its speed accordingly. Because it's a fixed speed, it will not spend its time trying other speeds.

If 6MBits/sec doesn't work, try 2Mbits/sec. The sensitivity is slightly better at this slow speed. Don't bother with 1Mbit/sec as the sensitivity roughly the same as 2Mbits/sec.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Without changing the antenna or moving the unit closer to the source there isn't alot you are going to be able to do. The problem here is the receiver sensetivity. This is something that you are not going to be able to change. You could replace your card with a unit that has a better receiver sensetivity, that is if you can even find one. The best and cheapest fix would be change the antenna to a higher gain, but this may not be possible depending on the card you have. Without being able to be flexable there maybe NOTHING anyone can do that help you.

Reply to
youcantoo

this tinfoil. where do u get it? best buy men dont have tinfoil - they say alnimum??

Reply to
G

thank u sir. u r right that i am not interested in such solution not b/c i am cheapskate. but everyperson is not rich. i have the computer but going out an buying an antenna is too much ok. that's why i had posted. but thnks for the advice. if i get the chance i WILL explore the other options. i want internet now thow.

Reply to
G

OFDM thank you jeff. you people (jewish people like the senator are very smart and giving). thank you for truly sincere suggestion. gideon

Reply to
G

thank u for the info. i will try yoga classes. ok really thanks. basically i am getting here that there is no boost to enhance the card unlike freakin everything with XP and hardware running on XP. my country thanks you.

Reply to
G

helpful. not so much of a d*****ad. (this is for a school project)

Reply to
G

If you have a WRT54G you can download non offical firmware DD-WRT gives you a ton of feature and Hyper-WRT just adds a few, but they both let you increase the power output of the radios in the router.

Hyper-WRT

formatting link
formatting link
Marcel

Reply to
mmanning

It doesn't matter if this equipment was on windows, (this is not a linux or windows issue) because the problem lies with the receivers ability to pickup a poor (weak) signal. I do beleive Jeff made a suggestion that may help without any modifications to the wifi card or antenna. That was to limit the xmit rate to 2Mbps. It is truely amazing how one ask for solutions and when they get them they get mad because they are not the solution the one asking beleives he or she should get. The problem lies with you wifi card and how weak of a signal that it can receive and work. You options whether or not you should like them or not.

1. move the computer closer to the wireless transmitting source.
  2. change antennas.
  3. do nothing at all.
  4. complain about the suggestions others have made.
  5. try KungFu and kick that wifi card into submission.
  6. Blame the problem because you don't have money to correct it.
Reply to
youcantoo

Increasing the output power does nothing for it receiving a poor signal. Transmit power is not going to increase the receivers sensetivity. Please don't confuse the two. Oh by the way he doesn't have the WRT54G and these mods will NOT work on the model Linksys that he has.

Reply to
youcantoo

formatting link
is special about that name, to a cheapskate?
formatting link

Reply to
dold

He's not selling those antennas. They're free and very easy to build.

formatting link
you have a limited budget, building one of these cardboard and aluminium foil reflectors will probably give you the best range improvment for the small amount of money spent.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Let me put this bluntly...

Try clicking on the link you twit!

Reply to
David Taylor

Actually it's called aluminium :)

Reply to
David Taylor

Thus spake G:

Thus spake youcantoo:

I presume it's a D-Link card, but he still refuses to give us any information about the model so as to help us help him...

Reply to
DaveC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.