Question about a Linksys USB Adapter

Just spent over $60.00 on a Linsys USB Adapter and installed it and the software on my Dell Inspiron 8100 and ended up with 40kbs download speed when it should be at least 680kbs. Any idea what I'm doing wrong here? I'm kind of newbie with wifi. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
jacatone
Loading thread data ...

jacatone hath wroth:

bits or bytes? 40KBytes/sec is equal to 320Kbits/sec. Any chance you got your units of measure confused?

My crystal ball is at the repair shop, so I can't devine what hardware you're using, what computers you have, what ISP you're using, and how you're testing for speed. You might want to supply this info.

Note that your Inspiron 8100 has USB 1.1 ports, not USB 2.0. You're going to be limited to 802.11b speeds, or about 11Mbits/sec wireless connection, which will yield about 4Mbits/sec maximum file transfer speed. For the Dell Inspiron 8100, I would have purchased an 802.11g CardBus (PCMCIA) card, which would max out at 54Mbits/sec. Of course, this assumes you have an 802.11g wireless access point.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.