802.11 stuff

I'm very used to dealing with 802.11b but not so familiar with faster flavors. If I were to open up one access point to users on 802.11b but held out another access point for faster users, could that work? I'm thinking in terms of getting a 16Mb Comcast connection and would like to be able to get higher throughput on at least one AP. In other words, not allow slow connections on the faster AP so everyone wouldn't be slowed down to 802.11b.

Reply to
Rôgêr
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 19:41:02 -0400, Rôgêr wrote in :

Yes it would work. Put them on different minimally overlapping channels (1, 6, 11).

Reply to
John Navas

Thank you, pretty much what I thought. Now, is there an AP available that I can program to not allow slow (802.11b) connections? I know I can filter by MAC and so forth, just wondering if there's an AP that makes this "fallling off the log" easy.

Sorry if this is duplicated, TB tried to send but reported an error.

Reply to
Rôgêr

I would have thought that all b/g AP's allow you to configure them for 'b', 'g', or both.

Reply to
Char Jackson

On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 01:27:25 -0400, Rôgêr wrote in :

Many will allow you to set B-only, G-only, or B+G. I'd personally: * Set the G access point for G-only * Leave the B access point at B+G * Use different SSID on the two access points, so clients can select which one they connect to * Likewise use different WPA-PSK keys In general, filtering by MAC is not a good idea, adds no real security, and is a PITA to administer.

Reply to
John Navas

very hard to find b and g only nowadays, many have b/g/n now....

Reply to
Peter Pan

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 13:22:43 -0400, "Peter Pan" wrote in :

Lots of b and g products on the market.

Only *draft* n -- there are no actual n products yet.

Reply to
John Navas

I would tend to agree. I don't think I have ever seen a b/g device that didn't have a "g or b only" setting.

Reply to
George

An 808.11g AP has to accept and wait for 802.11b traffic present on the

2.4GHz band. And any 802.11b AP or 802.11b client will not be able to "see" the 802.11g AP or 802.11g clients or the 802.11g traffic. So the end result will be slow traffic on the 802.11g AP.

Better would be using an 802.11a AP, which uses the 5GHZ band and does not interfer with 2.4GHz traffic for your fast connection.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 01:24:31 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote in :

Usually easier and cheaper to use a minimally-overlapping 2.4 GHz channel.

Reply to
John Navas

Not in this case. See fig 12-7 "Channel separation in 802.11 DS networks" on page 259 in "802.11 Wireless Networks" 2nd ed, by Matthew S Gast. There's overlap using channels 1 and 11.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 02:33:48 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote in :

Not significant.

Reply to
John Navas

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote in news:1j2kbgm.wrcfmo1gop32cN% snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

Doesn't that all depend on whom is using the wireless network, and what hardware they have ? Do they have client hardware that is '802.11a- capable' ?

Reply to
DanS

Yes.

If an AP is set for 802.11g only, it will ignore 802.11b traffic as noise. It won't do CTS/RTS with it, which is part of what appears to slow down the 11g traffic.

5GHz does not penetrate walls and other obstacles as well as 2.4GHz.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Fenwick

Wrong figure.

This should bring you to fig 12-5. There you will see, that the spread is greater than 22 MHz. Scroll down to fig 12-7. Although weak, when the

802.11b and 802.11g APs are close to each other, as will be the case here, there will be interference.
Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Steve Fenwick:

Scroll back up to Protection.

Not so. In theory, 802.11b/g will have marginaly longer range.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 13:22:37 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote in :

From your source:

802.11b specifies that a 25 MHz (5 channel number) spacing is sufficient. Figure 12-7 shows the spectral mask of transmission on the so-called non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11).

Figure 12-7 shows the amount of overlap and interference between channels 1 and 11 to be not significant.

Reply to
John Navas

Which is what I said--put the AP in 802.11g radio only, and protection will not be enabled.

Which is what I said--2.4GHz (the band used for 802.11b/g) has better range (and wall penetration) than 5GHz.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Fenwick

From your posting:

Message-ID:

"Put them on different minimally overlapping channels (1, 6, 11)."

And:

Message-ID:

"... a minimally-overlapping 2.4 GHz channel."

The Navas Group, a rock 'n' roll band?

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 01:37:43 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote in :

Apparently you have a reading comprehension problem.

Not to mention a civility problem.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.