Linksys WRT54G Security

Have just installed a new WRT54G, using it in Mixed mode (cable and Wireless), have selected WEP 64 bits 10 hex digits security and the box is able to successfully talk to my Wi-fi phone (UTStarcom via Vonage) without any problems.

Question how secure is the setup, should I be using another settings or is this configuration considered safe from intruder attack?

Thanks

Reply to
H
Loading thread data ...

You should be using WPA instead of WEP. If you can't use WEP 128.

Reply to
SD

Amen!

WEP 128 can be cracked almost as easily as WEP 40/64. Use WPA.

Reply to
John Navas

If I have one device that only supports WEP, can I somehow set things up so that everything else uses WPA, but this one device?

Reply to
Jon Nadelberg

Most APs won't support this kind of thing, you'll either need a separate AP with sufficient router isolation that you can leave it essentially unprotected, or a more modern device that supports WPA.

I've got a separate AP set up on a different public IP with an SSID of "public", but that's not easy for everyone to do. 8*)

Supposedly the Linksys WAP54GP does this with VLANs, and while I have a couple of them to install, I haven't done it yet, and can't tell you how easy it is to set up.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Won't help, since that still leaves the (WEP) door open, and many (most?) low-end access points can't do that anyway. Strongly advise upgrading that one device.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.