I keep losing connection to the internet

I have a network router question. I live on a campus of a small African college and help them with computer stuff. The campus here has a cisco router as the main one that connects us to the internet. There are then various other routers, switches, etc. around campus. One of the other smaller routers is a Linksys wireless router that is near to where we live that provides wireless access to the network for people like us. The wireless router periodically stops being able to give us access to the internet. Sometimes this happens every hour, sometimes it can work for days. So the symptom is that everything will be working normally and then all of a sudden, I can't access the internet, but I can access anywhere else inside our LAN. And it's not just our computer; all the computers that are connected to the wireless router stop being able to access the internet. I can't even ping an address outside of our LAN.

The wirelss router has a static IP address. The way to make it start working again is to change the static IP address. When I do that, everything works fine again. And it's not just a matter of rebooting the wireless router. If you reboot it without changing the IP address, it doesn't work. So that (along with the fact that I can still access anywhere inside the LAN when the internet stops working) makes us think that it's not a problem with the wireless router itself, but with the main Cisco router, that it somehow only lets a limited amount of internet traffic through to the wireless router's IP address and then cuts it off until the its IP address changes. When this problem is occurring, I can ping 192.168.0.6, which is a computer on the network on the other side of the router. But I can't ping

216.109.112.135, which is an ip address used by Yahoo. As far as our wireless router goes, both 216.109.112.135 and 192.168.0.6 are outside, so why would I be able to ping one and not the other.

Have you ever heard of something like this? Do you have any ideas on this? Thanks, John

Reply to
Big Daddy
Loading thread data ...

have you had a look at the logs on the cisco router? #sh logg you could post the output so we can have a look.

Reply to
Steve Williamson

I am sorry. I know very little about cisco routers. I can telnet into it. If I type in #sh logg, nothing happens. Can you point me to a website that would give an explanation of what I should do? thanks

Reply to
Big Daddy

you might need to enable logging first. Go into conf mode (#conf t), then type #logging on

Theres plenty of cisco sites on google, else the

formatting link
site can be quite helpful. I'm not very in-depth with cisco's myself and I go to the cisco site very often.

HTH Steve

Reply to
Steve Williamson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.