ISP supplied wireless not secure??

I've just had the most amazing 32 hours in my life, all without sleep. I've been trying to make an (ISP supplied) DSL modem/wireless router work in wireless mode. And, I need some help::>

The modem/router in question is a Starbridge Networks Linx L-510. The website is

formatting link

The bulk of my problems making it work were related to the wireless receiver in the laptop, the router itself functions fine as supplied by the ISP.

BUT.........apparently Starbridge Networks never heard of wireless security.

The 2 selectable security options are 'none' and WEP with a user definable key. There are no settings for WPA anything!

So, after I spent all this time making the wireless in the laptop work, I went to enable the WPA in order to secure my wireless. I understand this has to be done on both ends of the wireless link. Note that I AM NOT trying to connect 2 or more computers together, my sole interest in wireless is to allow the laptop to roam around my house...I believe the proper term is 'Internet Connection Sharing'.

So, here's what I found when I attempted to modify the wireless setup for improved security.

1) No WPA setting available.*

2) The wireless protocol supported is never mentioned in the documentation, I strongly suspect it's not 802.11g.

3) There is no company address, website or tech support number listed in any of the documentation for the router. I only found the website by googleing.

4) Even on the website, there is no company address given and no tech support number or any other form of contact.

5) The quick Start hardcopy that comes with the modem is a joke-not that unusual::> BUT.......

6) The full installation and documentation manual (supplied on disk) also does not list a website, company address or contact information. Not even warranty information is supplied.

7) The website doesn't have a search engine and my model number is not listed. No information is available about my router-no drivers etc.

8) The box is a plain brown box with a few stickers on it, although I confess one of those does have the website listed.

*Only WEP with user assignable key is available.

I realize this is most likely an OEM model, which is why there are 'no frills'.....but, my ISP charged me a damn high price to install and lease this modem, and I'm seriously wondering whether I should send it back and tell them NO THANKS.

My initial intention was to have a router that provided 802.11g (WPA) security and to pay their price for the hardware lease so that the hardware would be supported by them. It appears that security is NOT available in this model, and why the ISP is distributing wireless routers that aren't even mildly secure is beyond my comprehension.

So, should I send it back and ask for my money back? That would mean I would have to buy a modem/router and set it up myself without their support.

Appreciate any suggestions.

A
Reply to
Ari
Loading thread data ...

INFO:

Domain Name.......... starbridgenetworks.com Creation Date........ 2003-08-03 Registration Date.... 2003-08-03 Expiry Date.......... 2006-08-03 Organisation Name.... Starbridge Networks L.L.C. Organisation Address. 3265 Meridian Parkway Organisation Address. Organisation Address. Weston Organisation Address. 33331 Organisation Address. Florida Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

Admin Name........... Web Master Admin Address........ 3265 Meridian Parkway Admin Address........ Admin Address........ Weston Admin Address........ 33331 Admin Address........ Florida Admin Address........ UNITED STATES Admin Email.......... snipped-for-privacy@sbridge.net Admin Phone.......... +1.9543341390 Admin Fax............ +1.9543341395

Tech Name............ Web Master Tech Address......... 3265 Meridian Parkway Tech Address......... Tech Address......... Weston Tech Address......... 33331 Tech Address......... Florida Tech Address......... UNITED STATES Tech Email........... snipped-for-privacy@sbridge.net Tech Phone........... +1.9543341390 Tech Fax............. +1.9543341395 Name Server.......... A.NS.INTERLAND.NET Name Server.......... B.NS.INTERLAND.NET Name Server.......... C.NS.INTERLAND.NET

Also without WPA support send it back.

JM

Reply to
JM

Send it back and go get a proper SOHO router.

Reply to
riggor99999

Thanks JM and Riggor.

I kinda felt the same way, but wanted to check in case I missed something. I'm new to the security issue, but can only assume this is either a very poorly and unsupported product OR that it is an OEM product.

My guess is that it is probably more than 2 years old and not flash firmware up-datable. The joke is on my ISP I suspect, they insisted on me paying to have this router installed because it was wireless and they wanted to make sure my setup was secure!!!!!! I wonder how many of my neighbors are running these things with no idea that the encryption is nearly worthless::>

They probably bought them for 2 dollars each on ebay::>

Again thanks for the input.

A

Reply to
Ari

Most ISP's lease dated wireless hardware so they can make as much $$ as possible.

Seriously, just go and buy your own wireless hardware. It will eventually pay for itself, you will know exactly what you are getting, and at the end of the day you own all of it.

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.