WiFi - Why can't I browse?

Not all wireless networks have an internet connection. That sounds like exactly what you are seeing. I use a program called Winc from cirond corporation

formatting link
free for 30 days, about $30 one time after that) that not only sniffs out networks, but unlike free progs like netstumbler, gives all sorts of info about it (mac address/protected/locked or not etc), including saying whether it has an internet connection or not.

While there are other sniffers out there, I really like this one, cuz it shows the connections, and also actually start the browser and lets you select it AND CONNECT

If nothing else, check it out, it's free to try for 30 days. I highly recommend it. What do you have to lose?

PS. For those with PDA's that have WiFi (like my iPAQ 4551), they also have a product called MiniWinc

Don't be put off by the website, it's actually a security testing company, but they have really neat programs (not affiliated with the company, just a very happy user)

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

And just to confuse things even more, I have a wireless network, but use dial-up networking from the devices with modems on the network during the day/early Eve, and at night and on weekends, when I have free cell time, it always connected and available over the network

Robert Jacobs wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

Couple of ideas:

1) You could be connecting to a network which does not have Internet access. 2) The router/AP may be allowing Internet access to only the devices the owner specifies.

Even though you are receiving a signal, that doesn't mean that you are connected to the network. Do you know if you are being assigned a valid address? Does your wireless device know what the gateway address is?

Reply to
Jerry Park

In the building that I live in (or the immediate surrounding area) there are a few people who have their wireless internet setup in the "OPEN" mode, in other words, they have no security enabled on their networks and they show up in my "available network lists" when I browse the list with my network cards properties. (FOR TESTING PURPOSES ONLY), I have tried connecting to the unsecured networks just to see if it would actually work. The connection is made yet I'm NOT online! I can't browse with my web browswer or do anything else online, it's like I dont have a connection at all. The signal strength indicators for these unsecured networks are all in the good to excellent range so I know it's not because I'm to far away from these peoples routers. When I check out the properties for the connections when I make them, it shows packets being sent AND received. I just don't understand why Im not able to do anything online if the connection is there. When I reconnect back to my network (which IS secured) once again I have complete access to the net. I know that unsecured means the wireless network is wide open, there is no 'key' or anything needed to connect, so whats the problem?

I'm really stumped by this because when I take my notebook to friends houses who don't have their networks secured (I know dumb) not only does it show that the connection is made, but I can actually get online! Yet when I'm back home and I try to connect to other peoples unsecured networks, it shows I'm connected but I can't do anything online, with IE I get "cant find server" and if I try to open any other program that works online, it won't sign me in.

Can anyone give me some advice on whats going on because I totally don't get it.

Thanks.

Reply to
Sseadoubleyou

Ah, I figured if Windows was picking up the network, then that meant both the cable or dsl line and router were all connected. Are you saying that one can physically have their router on, but cable or dsl modem off and the networks would still be visible even though the actual internet modem was off? If so I didn't think about that one.

Reply to
Sseadoubleyou

Reply to
Peter Pan

Yeah I see what you mean now. I tried it out and sure enough, every single wireless network in range of me does NOT have internet access:(

Reply to
Sseadoubleyou

Yes, that is true. A router will connect your computers together and enable broadband internet access if you have it. You can have network and internet, Internet by itself or network by itself.

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

thats kool, but your using shared internet via a host, not via the router. I know you know that, im just clarifing for others reading the thread...

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Yup, there are many that show AP's, but the real cirond stuff (not the old version one((several versions ago from the current one)) that pc modified and put out as free), allows you to click on the listed ap and start a browser.. The freebies (netstumbler and boingo) usually don't do that.

Just a general hint, if something is given away as free, it's usually an older version, look for a newer version on the manufacturer site.. usually a newer version with more features is available there.

W> I have Circond WiNc from PC Magazine - branded freeware. 2 AP here

Reply to
Peter Pan

I have Circond WiNc from PC Magazine - branded freeware. 2 AP here and just opened WiNc and it shows a red x on one of my AP's that I'm not connected to (x on a different ssid, my router).

fwiw; The free Boingo software shows similar available AP's info and some more details too.

I can remove my laptop MAC from the routers allowed filter list and then the laptop will still wirelessly connect and can browse the LAN and shares but it will not connect to the WAN( anotherwords no internet ).

Reply to
bumtracks

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.