Why is Ethernet Fast/Wireless Slow?

My wireless has never been speedy but it appears to have gotten worse lately. Occasionally a page will load quickly but most of the time there's a lot of waiting before the page renders. The issue occurs in all browsers I've tried. The pages load almost instantly when using my Ethernet connection.

I'm using a no-name wireless pocket router sitting on the floor next to the desk with my laptop on it. Only my laptop and smartphone are connected to the router. I set the DNS servers to the same as those in my PC adapter config, and I've enabled/disabled QoS with no apparent page load differences. Is there a wireless config setting I'm missing that would help speed things up? Thanks.

Reply to
M.L.
Loading thread data ...

You're probably receiving interference from other wi-fi systems in the area. Do NOT use auto channel selection in your unspecified model wireless router. Reconfigure it for either channels 1, 6, or 11. If by chance your unspecified model non-name wireless router just happens to be a dual band wireless router, and that your unspecified computah just might be have a dual band wireless adapter, try switching from the crowded 2.4Ghz band, to the less crowded 5Ghz band.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I use a free Android app called Wifi Analyzer. I use it to see what channels my neighbors are using and the relative signal strengths. Then I set my router on the best channel. No guesswork that way.

Reply to
Aaron2

I use the same app for the same purpose. It's quite useful and works well: For the US, the default settings for 5GHz channels is needs to be setup for the DFS channels under "settings".

Some other programs that will show hidden SSID's:

In the last year or so, almost all the wi-fi interference problems I've had to deal with are the result of Roku, Apple TV, WD, and other wireless internet TV appliances being uses via Wi-Fi instead of an ethernet connection. Getting the owners attention and allowing me to make changes to their setup has been a challenge. My favorite pitch line is mentioning that it also affects the performance of their tablets, smartphones, and game machines. That's not totally true, but good enough to get me past the door.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I guess I should mention that that author of WiFi Analyzer is not very good at screen design. Everyone eventually asks the same questions:

1. To switch from 2.4GHz display to 5GHz, go to "View -> Channel Graph" display, punch the black area just under the "WiFi Analyzer" icon in the upper left, and a "2.4G" box will appear. Punch it, and it will change to "5G".
  2. To see the network neighborhood, hit the three vertical dots near the upper right, and select "Tools -> LAN neighbors".
  3. To turn off sound, go to "View -> Signal Meter" and you'll find the sound on/off in the lower right.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Not much different than putting high pass filters on their TVs in the old days before cable, eh?

Reply to
Aaron2

Thanks for all replies. If it helps, I used WirelessNetView to gather some statistics (SSID: Cressida):

formatting link

It appears that I'm on a different channel from my neighbors.

Router model: WA-6220 Laptop: HP DV7-1135nr

Reply to
M.L.

[Resend to add URL of router] I used WirelessNetView to gather some statistics (SSID: Cressida):
formatting link

It appears that I'm on a different channel from my neighbors.

Laptop: HP DV7-1135nr Router model: WA-6220

formatting link

Reply to
M.L.

I confirmed that Nirsoft WirelessNetView will show hidden SSID routers: Those are the blank SSID's on your output page.

Note that "Pettyyy House" is not secured. If your HP DV7 laptop is inadvertently connecting to the unsecured "Pettyyy House" on Ch 6 instead of your "Cressida" on Ch 11, it might explain the slowdown.

Can I assume Windoze 7 or Windoze 8? If so, try: netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid from the CMD box.

I'll assume that you've checked for malware and don't have any high traffic file sharing or IP video applications running while testing your system.

No experience with that router or company. The included product link to the manufacturers web pile doesn't work: The product appears to be obsolete. Their current routers: No firmware updates available without sending email to support.

I could normally suggest running local wireless performance tests using iPerf or Jperf and a 2nd computer: However, with the possibility of old firmware and an obsolete router, methinks simply borrowing a different router and trying it instead might prove a better test. If a different router works better, the culprit should be obvious.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Although (as you point out) it's unlikely, I forgot to mumble something about interference. WirelessNetView will show what your DV7 laptop client radio is hearing. It will NOT show what your WA-6220 wireless router is hearing. If the laptop is located inside your house, and the wireless router located near an open window with a view of the city, the wireless router is going to hear far more signals and junk than your laptop. WirelessNetView will also only show wireless access points and will not show wireless clients (thanks to intentional Windoze driver limitations).

Try moving the WA-6220 router away from anything with a view of the world and see if things go faster.

Try running Kismet (under Linux) for detecting client radios: Pg 96. Hit "c" for client list.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Windows8. I tried that command and it showed 5 networks currently available. The stats shown mirror what I found in WirelessNetView.

Yes, I scan with Malwarebytes. The only Internet apps I have open are Chrome and Agent newsreader. No background Internet apps.

I'm definitely leaning towards a new router. Thanks again for your informative reply.

Reply to
M.L.

My router status webpage shows I'm connected to Cressida.

Thanks. As stated in my other response, I'm leaning towards a more capable router.

Reply to
M.L.

Also, you mentioned it is on the floor in your original forum thread post. Have you tried moving it up and maybe somewhere else? I don't think wireless work well going up to your wireless devices. If they fail, then yeah a new better brand of router would be a good idea. Even a cheaper priced router would work.

Reply to
Ant

I briefly moved it to the top of the desk right next to the laptop but it made no difference.

I'm currently looking at the highly rated TP-LINK TL-WDR3500 dual-band router. At the very least it will allow me a direct Ethernet connection to my laptop while maintaining wireless support, unlike the WA-6220. The only device to be wirelessly connected will be my smartphone. But I don't use it much for Internet connectivity.

Reply to
M.L.

No experience with that model, but I've had generally good luck with TP-Link lately. (The really old stuff is crap). About $40 anywhere. Simultaneous 2.4 and 5GHz is a big plus. QoS is mandatory if you're running VoIP. Most of the other features are marginally useful or useless. However, at the price, you won't save any money buying a lesser wireless router. You probably don't need

802.11ac. WPS is a security risk and should be disabled. Etc.

You *MIGHT* be able to connect a 5 port ethernet switch to the single ethernet port on the WA-6220. That will work only if the port supports multiple IP's on a single MAC address. Some do, some don't, and no way to tell without trying it.

On the other foot, my smartphone has no cellular data plan. I use wi-fi for internet connectivity exclusively (because I'm cheap).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sounds like a great idea. I see a 5 port Ethernet switch on eBay for $8.45 shipped. However, rather than take a chance regarding multiple IP support I'd rather pay a bit more and go with a new router. I found a WDR3500 for $35.30 used/$42 new, shipped. Besides, I'm running out of electrical plugs at that location, even with a power strip.

Oh, I use more smartphone WiFi than data at home. But I mostly use my smartphone WiFi to check the weather forecast.

Reply to
M.L.

Don't forget that Wifi is in the ISM - Industrial, Scientific, & Medical - RF spectrum So, depending upon your location, anything else, like a microwave oven, using the 2.4Ghz band will cause "blinding" interference for your laptop... You can't easily see/monitor this spray of 2.4Ghz microwaves, since it's just RF, and not a data stream.

Reply to
ps56k

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.