Which routers work with WakeOnLan? DI-524?

I am looking for a wireless router that works with WakeOnLan (WOL). I just got a D-Link network card with this feature, and I can wake my main desktop from within the lan (ie my laptop), but it doesn't work from a remote pc over the internet. I've been told that on my router, I need to forward a port to the 'broadcast address', which is usually subnet.255 (on my USRobotics router, that would be 192.168.2.255). But my current router does not let you use that address, USRobotics confirmed this. So I need to find an 802.11g router that does work with WOL. A co-worker has a D-Link DI-524 router, he does say he can forward to his subnet.255 port, but I don't know for sure if WakeOnLan works with this router. Can anyone confirm? Or name other routers they know does work with WOL?

Thanks,

Dave snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
davenetman
Loading thread data ...

Not sure about the Dlink DI-524 (no mention in product documentation that I've seen), but

formatting link
claims they have WOL in their AP.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

No router will pass Magic Packets (WOL) from WAN -> LAN. These packets are broadcasts (MAC address = all 1's) and will not pass through the router or firewall. There is also no easy way to direct such a packet at your router IP as Magic Packet doesn't know anything about IP addresses. This isn't going to work.

Close. See:

formatting link
how it's done.

Argh. The link for the WOL program is busted in the above web page. This one works:

formatting link
This should work with ANY router including wireless.

I have never been able to make WOL work through a router without some form of a trick or added program.

What I have been able to do is setup a VPN to a network and run Magic Packets through the VPN to the remote network. That works fine but you may need to tweak the router to allow broadcasts to pass. It's usually a setting on the better routers, but missing on the cheap ones.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You might want to try:

formatting link
The unit has wireless, VPN and Wake On LAN capability. The router also has NetBIOS broadcast which eliminates the need to do name resolution from a remote machine. Lots of VPN Support (IPsec, PPTP and L2TP).

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
byteme3

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.