Which Netgear router for mixed mode network?

Hi,

I'm wanting to upgrade from my old D-link di713-p. I have pretty much decided that I would like a router in the Netgear product line as I have worked with them before and really like their web interface and feature set.

For the time being, I'll be running a mixed B/G network and wonder if that should factor into my choice?

i'm looking at three options: the WGT624, the WGU624, and the WGT634U. So far my impressions are as follows-- please feel free to clarify, add to or correct my observations as necessary:

The WGT624 looks like a solid performer and offers Super G or 108Mbps performance if used in conjunction with Super G cards.

The WGT634U basically appears to be a WGT624 with the added functionality of a USB port supporting external storage devices. This might be an interesting choice as I have a lot of mp3s and it would be kind of cool to access them remotely; However, I'm unclear as to how this would work. Does the router run an ftp server or something? Is it worth buying this functionality or would I be better off paying purely for a router and sharing my files via a PC based software solution?

The WGU624 seems to be the newest in the product line and the one I know the least about. Is this basically a WGT624 with added support for

802.11A, or are there elements of this one that I'm missing?

Thanks,

--Al

Reply to
Al Puzzuoli
Loading thread data ...

I have had the WGT624 for about two months now and am very pleased with the performance. Using it to share DSL internet and LAN with a desktop and notebook. Three firmware upgrades have been loaded.

Reply to
TLB

If you want a good, no nonsense, unit, check out the FWG114P.

Bill Crocker

Reply to
Bill Crocker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.