Problems with a Netgear wireless router

GTS,

I had a similar problem to this, though the only thing that I'm currently not able to do is to use file sharing. Any tips? Hints? Thoughts?

I have a Linksys WRT54g as the main router and then a Netgear WGU624 with the 802.11b/g turned off and only using it as an 802.11a access point.

Thanks,

-gg-

GTS wrote:

Reply to
Gray Ghost
Loading thread data ...

I've just bought a Netgear WGR614 wireless router which I've added to my existing LAN. In order for my wireless clients to access both the internet and all the shared resources on different computers I've given it an IP address (192.168.11.11) and connected it using only the LAN port to the existing network. Everything works great, except that now I'm not able to access the settings through

formatting link
or its IP address. I don't want to reset the router since everything is working, however I'd like to change the security settings on the WLAN, but I can't. I already have a firewall that I'd like to keep as it is, and which works just as it should.

This is how it's connected:

formatting link
Anyone been in a similar situation, and what's the solution?

Thanks,

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

GTS,

Thanks for the information. I read through the second document that you listed and that's what I had done before :-D

-D

GTS wrote:

formatting link
for more info.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

You need to temporarily connect it directly to one of your computers like this - Set the PC to a static IP address in the 192.168.11.xx range and subnet matching the router (probably 255.255.255.0); Connect the PC's Ethernet port to a LAN port on the router. (Alternatively to the WAN port, but that would probably need a crossover cable.) Open your browser to http://192.168.11.11 to access the router configuration. After your changes, reset the PC to DHCP (assuming it's that way now).

Reply to
GTS

You should be able to connect to it via the LAN IP address that you assigned to it. Some routers don't work well if their WAN side is looking for a DHCP assigned address and can't find one. You might try connecting immediately after a power cycle of the router, or temporarily connect the WAN connection to you existing router, just to make the DHCP-hunt happier. You might have to go back to factory defaults and assign a static address on an unused 192.168 subnet to the WAN side (like 192.168.22.11).

Reply to
dold

I take it you can access the Internet but not the other networked computer(s)? Assuming your file sharing is otherwise properly setup, that probably indicates the Netgear is not configured correctly. When chaining a router (not the best idea, but doable) it must have a static IP address in the (non-DHCP) range of the primary, have it's own DHCP disabled, and be connected by a LAN port.

See

formatting link
or
formatting link
more info.

Reply to
GTS

Does file sharing work if you take the Netgear out of the circuit? Can you ping the other workstation?

Reply to
GTS

I tried all that, but non of it worked so I gave up and reset the router. Why would they design a router on which the settings can't be modified unless it's connected to the internet? Doesn't sound very thought through to me.

Right, but then I wouldn't be able to share files between the computers.

Thanks for your help guys anyway.

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

GTS,

Thanks for the reply... after tooling around with my laptop some more I found that the driver for the nic was corrupt... and giving me other issues as well. So now I have my netgear 802.11a/g router working as an

802.11a access point and am able share files seamlessly. All is well in this Ghost's villa :-D

Thanks,

-gg-

GTS wrote:

You know you're a hacker when you never met most of your friends :)

• TagZilla 0.057 *
    formatting link
    Does file sharing work if you take the Netgear out of the circuit? Can you
Reply to
Gray Ghost

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.