Can AP client mode forward DHCP packets?

Hi,

I'm currently using the following wired setup:

DSLModem---Hub-------Router--IPPhone | | PC PC

Now, the line between the hub and the router goes through my whole house and I wanted to get rid of it so I bought a Linksys WRT54G and a WAP54G. My reasoning was the following:

DSLRouter---WRT54-)) ((--WAP54G--Hub--Router--IPPhone | ((-PC PC

The WAP54G is running in Client mode. The reason for this is that I want to be able to connect my laptop wirelessly to the WRT54G.

Now comes the tricky part. The ISP is handing out the IP's via DHCP and I'm wondering if it's possible for all devices (except the IPPhone) to get an IP address from this DHCP pool?

How do I get the DHCP traffic over the wireless connection? Or in more details, the DHCP-Discover and DHCP-Request packets from the Router & PC on the right would need to be forwarded from the WAP54G to the DSLRouter and the DHCP-Offer and DHCP-ACk packets would need to be forwarded from the WRT54G to the Router.

I know the WRT54G also has a buildin DHCP server, so if all the devices (except the IPPhone) can get an IP from this one, that would be fine also (as the WRT54G has routing capabilities). In that case it's just the WAP54G that would need to pass over the DHCP traffic.

Will it work by default? Anybody ever succeeded in building such a setup?

Thanks, Sven.

Reply to
Sven
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
John

On 22 Nov 2004 08:12:56 -0800, Sven spoketh

Your WRT router won't pass the DHCP traffic from your ISP. Instead, it'll hand out IP addresses in the private range to all your LAN equipment (including your IP phone). You may need for forward some ports to your IP Phone in order for that to work behind the router.

DHCP requests goes over the wireless network just as well as it does over wired, so this should not be an issue. Your problem would be with the router...

The WAP doesn't care what the traffic is. If it's an ethernet frame that it needs to forward to the other side of the bridge, it'll do it, regardless of content, protocol or anything else...

And, your IP phone will need an IP address that is on the same network as the rest of your equipment...

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me. "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.