Linksys WRT54GS - which version?

I am looking to buy a Linksys WRT54GS router. I am wondering which version (1-5) should I get? I always thought I should get the lastest version but from what I read v5 has some sort of issues. Is that true?

I have two desktops and two laptops. All XPs. Besides browsing, I do bittorrent, file sharing between computers, and VPN to my company network through my laptop(wireless).

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
susana73
Loading thread data ...

Be aware that there is a WRT54G

Reply to
Peter Pan

Interesting that you seem to confuse hardware versions with firmware version between the two lines. There are indeed hardware versions of the GS line which run through version 5 just as with the non GS WRT54 series. What I find interesting though is that you talk about the plain G and use the hardware numbers but when you discuss the GS series you only refer to the firmware numbers without mentioning that you have changed from 'apples' to 'oranges'. Is this because you don't know about the GS line or that you wanted to be confusing?

Just to assist you in knowing your subject better in the future consider reading this wiki:

formatting link
fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Nah, I know it VERY VERY well, I sell them, have 8, and the manufacturer website

formatting link
says exactly the same thing..... Your stuff is way wrong.... Maybe you should consider changing your tagline to "Rico, Fundamentally wrong"... :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

| Be aware that there is a WRT54G

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

You may want to look at the manufacturer's site and get the correct info, rather than an incorrect wiki (seems like they have the same info for g as the gs), at the manufacturer site, they have different info and different firmware (different dates and file sizes)... WRT54G

formatting link
The WRT54GS
formatting link

Reply to
Peter Pan

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going with the WRT54G instead. Back to the question, should I get v4 then since v5 and above has less memory and not compatible with 3rd party firmware?

Reply to
susana73

If possible yes.. FYI, you can usually find the older ones at walmart (walmart?!?! Yup.. they sell pallets of the older ones to walmart, and then they sell em cheap (about $47-$48 bucks) look for any of the v1 thru v4's (like I said, sometimes they get older ones, and older versions are by definition older)

Reply to
Peter Pan

formatting link
and The WRT54GS

formatting link

Go to the linksys download area and lookup WRT54GS ver3 and WRT54GS ver5. Different firmware.

David

Reply to
David

Just to warn people about buying from you in the future, what company do you sell these things for?

Reply to
Rico

If you can find a version4, yes. Try shopping ebay as the version 4 and lower have been out of production now for about a year (more for the older versions). It isn't so much the reduced memory as version 5s were allowed to ship with 'defective/buggy' firmware. There are fixes now, but it is hard to know looking at the box if you have the 'fixed' firmware.

Also another option is to look for a wrt54GL (note the "L"). This is basically a version 4 with a higher price.

But take a look at on ebay.

Reply to
Rico

What serial number range would that be since hardware version is not written on the outside of the box, but you knew that since you sell them?

Reply to
Rico

Does the Linksys Speed Boost interfere with other routers ? I remember one reference on Tech TV at the time that the Speed Boost worked by interfering with neighbour's routers. I only remembet the one reference and do not know if it is correct or not As well I do not see how the one router could interfere with the others in the area but not itself .

Rico wrote:

Reply to
frankdowling1

You may want to take a look at the seattle wireless website page, has much more accurate info...

Reply to
Peter Pan

On 2 Aug 2006 23:19:02 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in :

Some speed boost technology works by using more channels, which creates more interference, and isn't neighbor friendly.

Reply to
John Navas

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:05:13 GMT Rico wrote: | In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: |>Thanks for the replies. I think I am going with the WRT54G instead. |>Back to the question, should I get v4 then since v5 and above has less |>memory and not compatible with 3rd party firmware? |>

| | If you can find a version4, yes. Try shopping ebay as the version 4 and | lower have been out of production now for about a year (more for the older | versions). | It isn't so much the reduced memory as version 5s were allowed to ship with | 'defective/buggy' firmware. There are fixes now, but it is hard to know | looking at the box if you have the 'fixed' firmware. | | Also another option is to look for a wrt54GL (note the "L"). This is | basically a version 4 with a higher price.

Not much higher. Plenty of good pricing around.

Froogle has a lot:

formatting link

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

What OS does the linksys WRT54G wireless router use?

Reply to
Scott

On 3 Aug 2006 10:54:19 -0700, "Scott" wrote in :

Depends on version. See Wikipedia.

Reply to
John Navas

Depends. Which hardware version are you asking about?

Reply to
Rico

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" hath wroth:

No. Linksys uses Broadcom's Afterburner system which uses only the usual 22MHz of bandwidth. It's Atheros Super-G and Super-AG that clobbers that adjacent systems. It combines two 22MHz channels to get the advertised speed.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.