WAG54G connection lost

My sons have identically-configured laptops running XP. We have a Linksys WAG54G v2 wireless gateway which has worked fine until recently. Now neither PC can connect wirelessly, though wired connections to the router work fine.

XP can see the network and attempts to connect to it automatically, but fails - either with a long "waiting for the network" or "obtaining network address". A visitor's PC had the same problem.

I have tried:

- rebooting the router

- disabling WPA-PSK security

- changing frequency, in case of interference

- disabling the firewalls on the PC's (Zonealarm)

- bringing the PC's into the same room as the router to ensure a strong signal

- running the XP "repair connection" tool - just says it cannot connect and to contact the network administrator (I guess that's me)

- setting a static IP for the PC's (normally use DHCP) all to no avail.

I don't think any settings have changed or anything relevant is likely to have been installed; I did install a dial-up network connection on the PC's for use when away from home, but it isn't attempting to dial.

Any suggestions please?

Chris R

Reply to
ChrisR
Loading thread data ...

Since two laptops have both shown the fault together, it looks like it is a router problem rather than a PC or a PC firewall problem. Since wired connections work ok, it looks like IP addresses are allocated ok (and you get the same fault with static IP addresses).

Was the problem present before the visitors PC showed up? Ie is it likely that the problem appeared as a result of changing the router configuration to get the visitor connected? If so then the router configuration looks to be the likely fault. If not then possibly the hardware has failed, or needs resetting back to the factory settings.

Things to check:- In the Router Configuration web page:-

1. under router Wireless.BasicWirelessSettings 1.1 - is the wireless Network Mode compatible with what your laptops are using? (ie 802.11b, 802.11g, or Mixed?) 1.2 - is the SSID the same as which your laptops are trying toconnect to?

1. under Wireless.WirelessNetworkAccess :- 2.1 Is it set to AllowAll? (or if not, do the MAC addresses match up ok?)

2. Under Wirless.AdvancedWireless:- 3.1 Is AP Isolation set to OFF?

1. If these all look ok, does it work when the laptops are close to the router? If so then this might imply interference or poor signal strength to your usual operating locations.

2. If all else fails, you could try resetting the router to its factory settings, and re-entereing the ISP connection and wireless parameters . Make sure you make a note of these before you reset your router, as you'll need to re-enter them. In particular, make sure that you have your userid and password, Encapsulation, VCI and VPI parameters noted down before you start,
C

ChrisR wrote:

Reply to
a

There were no changes to the router configuration for the visitor. I have been periodically blocking internet access for the laptops on the router (to get boys to do homework) but taht shouldn't affect connection to the LAN, and it's off now.

G-only

Yes. SSID broadcast is on and the laptops see it and attempt to connect to it, but fail.

Yes, allow all

Can't see such a setting

Tried that, makes no difference, also tried changing channel

Yes, may have to try this or even reinstall firmware. Come to think of it I have also been having problems with VPN which might point to a router problem.

Thanks for your help C.

Reply to
ChrisR

Well I've tried all this to no avail. Rebooted router, reinstalled firmware, restored to factory settings, makes no difference. A new router may be the answer.

One very strange phenomenon though: when I instruct it to Connect, the Wireless Network Connection box shows the network as Not Connected in the heading and on the system tray icon, but in the text it says "you are currently connected to this network". At these times I am able to connect to the internet via wireless and the laptop's wireless NIC shows up in the router's table of wireless clients. In Network Connections the wireless still shows as disconnected. It seems it is connecting but Windows is not fully recognising the connection.

After a few minutes the connection is lost. It doesn't reconnect automatically as it should, but connecting manually does the same again.

Any advice please?

Chris R

Reply to
ChrisR

Now the other laptop has started doing the same thing. I was wrong about not connecting automatically - it can happen - but the connections still drops every few minutes. Is this an XP bug? Google finds a few reports of these mixed messages on messageboards, but no solutions.

Weirder and weirder: The above was with network security disabled. Having given up, I restored WPA-PSK security. Guess what: connected fully, no problems! But only once. It dropped the connection and now won't connect at all, according to the computer - but is in the list of wireless connections in the router!

Chris R

Chris R

Reply to
ChrisR

Given that more than one PC is affected and that you are getting some very bizarre symptoms, I'd suspect two things: 1) interference from another router on the same channel; 2) the router has died.

Download NetStumbler

formatting link
and install it on one of the wireless PCs. With your router turned off, run Netstumbler and see what other networks are visible and what channels they are using. Now turn your router on and re-run Netstumbler. You should see your own network as well now.

If there is any other network on the same channel as yours, try configuring your router (by an Ethernet connection from the PC) to use a different, unused channel, preferably differing from any neighbouring network by at least two channel numbers. I think channels 1, 6 and 11 are non-overlapping; any others overlap to some extent with these. With the WAG54G, I think you have to explicitly save any config changes and then reboot: alway check after rebooting that the change has "taken" and that you haven't reverted to the previous state.

If that doesn't solve the problem, I'd suspect the wireless access point in the router. I've seen quite a few Linksys routers fail one way or another - far more than Netgears, and Netgears are far more common with my customers.

Reply to
Martin Underwood

Thanks Martin, but I have used Netstumbler, and I've also tried changing the wireless channel. The problem occurs even with the PC's right next to the router. I will try changing channels again and see what happens.

The reports of the phenomenon I found through Google were not brand-dependent.

Chris R

Reply to
ChrisR

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 21:47:12 -0000, "ChrisR" wrote in :

Hard reset the router to hardware defaults and start over, not enabling any security until wireless is working.

Reply to
John Navas

Have you tried turning off Windows zeroconfig on laptops?

Allan

Reply to
allan

Mirabile dictu, changing the channel worked this time.

There must be some law that says that if you have a problem and try the most obvious three things in five minutes, then spend thirteen hours looking for obscure solutions, then go back to the obvious, it will now work.

Interesting, though, that a connection can exist when Windows Zero config thinks it doesn't.

thanks for your help, everyone.

C.

Reply to
ChrisR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.