USR8054 wireless router

Your router is fine. It's the kludge of putting a switch or hub between the DSL modem and the router. I don't know how you made it work but unless your ISP's DLSAM delivers more than one ATM tunnel to your DSL modem, you're gonna get one MAC address and one IP address from your ISP.

You can easily prove if I'm wrong. Fire up all your computers and see what IP address they have: Start -> Run -> cmd ipconfig Also extract the WAN side IP address from your USR8054. If they're all the same, you have a mess. If they're all different, I wanna know the name of your ISP so I can subscribe. I could use a mess of free IP addresses when I'm only paying for one.

Since you're in a rush and have to get back to work, I'll just tell you what needs to be done. Get rid of the hub or switch between the DSL modem and the router. Plug all your wired PC's into the LAN side switch on the USR8054. If you run out of ports, put the hub or switch on one of the LAN ports and use it to expand the LAN side of the USR8054. Leave the computers set to get their IP addresses via DHCP. You may need to reboot or to run: ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew to get a new IP address.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Help anyone! I've been running a USR8054 wireless router for a notebook in the bedroom. I do volunteer web site work. I usually work in a room where my computer junk is and I am able to work with 3 different host company's but I'm using a switch (hub) on my main work computer that bypass the wireless router. (I have DSL with DHCP and I can have multiple logons)

I just noticed the other night while having to work on my notebook going through the USR8954 wireless router I cannot get any web page to load from one of my three hosting locations.

Tried it immediately on my computer that bypasses the USR router and it loads fine.

Back on my notebook going through the USR8054 I did some tracert's and discovered that my path to my host server gets to the host center "theplanet.com" and makes all the correct hops (routes) until 2 routers before my server.

Now if I do the same and bypass the USR router when I tracert I get to the same routers at the hosting center and route to the correct IP and therefore web pages load correctly. What a puzzle to me. Any ideas would be helpful. If someone has a USR8054 I would really like for them to try a test to that web page. Please write me if you would be willing to help. I spoke with "theplanet.com" (one of my three hosting company's) and the technician suggested LinkSys wireless. My USR has been very stable and reliable but I know wonder how many other web pages it caused not to load.

So I'm ready to go pickup a LinkSys wireless router what do you think of that approach? I hate to spend too much time working on this since I really need to get some html work done. Is there a better choice wireless router?

Regards, Ron ron#@#texw.com (remove the #'s)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE If you have received this message in error, please delete the email completely from your system. This email and any attachments are confidential, protected by copyright/intellectual property rights and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination or copying of this email is prohibited.

Reply to
Ron

Nice theory but I'm not buying it. There's no rational reason that the Verizon router is going to dispense a different route for a series of consecutive IP's on a single DSLAM. In theory the route should be identical on all your connections and computers. The IP addresses may be different but they'll still have the same gateway address and therefore the same route to wherever. If one of your computers works as expected, then ALL of your computers, including those going through the USR8054 should work.

However, there are ways that you can screw up the routeing table. Usually, it only affects the default route, other complications are possible. In the USR8054, turn off RIP (router information protocol). If you have any local servers or other router like boxes connected to your LAN, turn off RIP on those also. That's off both incoming and outgoing. That will prevent garbage from being decoded as RIP broadcasts and sending the router(s) off into into the ozone. In theory, sending RIP broadcasts to the Verizon gateway router should have no effect. However, I've seen ISP's that forget to disarm the monster and get into trouble.

Unrelated question: Do you have service with Verizon where they deliver 5ea static IP addresses? If so, you're doing it right and should ignore my comments about moving the hub or switch. If not, I can't believe that you can get multiple IP's that way.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff, thanks but didn't work. I have DSL with Verizon. The Hub or Switch simply lets multiple computers share one modem. So here's the order starting with a DSL modem one wire into a hub/switch - out one port of the switch a wire goes to one computer. It has its own unique IP and mac#. Out another port of the switch goes a longer wire to a USR8054 router it has it's own IP and mac#. Then from the router I have two wires going to computers. The router has IP#'s for those computers.

I still have the same problem. After doing some trace routing I'm beginning to think the route tables may be setup wrong at the host server. BTW all three computers have their own IP# and mac#.

-R>

Reply to
Ron

Thanks for all the suggestions Jeff. I just have the standard home user plan with Verizon. 1500kbps down and 128kbps up. I've used up to 4 IP's before so there must not be a restriction. All my boxes will be in one area soon and I'll do away with the switch. I am suppose to be getting 300+kbps up but I'm at about 15k feet from the phone switching station so I'm happy with 128. Verizon has installed fiber in this area during the last 3 years and plans on bringing fiber to each residence for TV, phone and internet. So I guess we'll be all digital soon.

Thanks Again for the ideas to try, Ron Plano, Texas W5AKA

Reply to
Ron

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.