Using router as AP

Another stupid question.

I'm playing with a the Buffalo router and wanted to see if I could grab the wifi signal from 50 feet away, but around the obstacles. I get a signal of about 17%. So, I hooked up the router, switching the bottom button to Bi (bridge).

So, now I get 90% signal from the router and 10% signal from the wireless hot spot I want to connect to. Not enough to connect........very well.

I'm not sure if I need to change MY router's channel to match the wifi's.......??Mine is on 1, the other is on 11.

I installed Buffalo's software, but alas, I'm not that much of a wifi expert.

What I want to do, is grab the wifi signal at the best position, and then pick it up with my wireless client, which would mean I'm actually shooting the signal around the blocks, if you get my drift.

Maybe I havent' explained it very well, but any help on what I need to do, IF it's evern possible?

I know I can get a decent signal with the AP, but I still don't know if I can use this as a repeater.........

Reply to
Travis McGee
Loading thread data ...

I can't figure out what you are doing. It seems that you have more than one device but who knows what they are. Please explain the devices and their positions in the network as well as physically.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Sorry..........I have one wifi router (no name) attached to a DSL modem. It has no wifi clients, just cabled to one computer.

I'm 50 feet away in another house with poor LOS. What I was trying to figure out is if I could use my new Buffalo router as a stand alone relay to bypass the obstacles. Since, I've read where it takes (usually) the same brand to use a router as a repeater. It's too complicated in any case.........

I'm getting a poor signal (but able to connect, but not use) the network using a USB adapter in my client. I'm now playing with antennas (home grown), to push the signal. I'm making one dish for the server router, and a another for the USB adapter. Early results are promising. Just playing around now.

If this don't work, I'm going to take Jeff's advice and just run CAT 5. Any good sources for outside stuff?

Thanks for replying.

Reply to
Travis McGee

OK. I think I got it. The Buffalos I know do have WDS bridge and repeater mode, but you need a WDS compatable router on the other end. I kinda doubt your no-name router does WDS mode. The apple airport does and any that takes replacment firmware does WDS.

And as you may already know, single repeaters are problematic in any case. It's possible, but not recommended. Better to use the Buffalo as a non-WDS bridge in your case.

If I remember right, the two settings on the router switch are quick settings for Router vs just AP. Bri means AP in Buffalo speak, I think. Better to leave the switch on Auto and do any setup in the interface.

One idea is to install DD-WRT firmware on the Buffalo and then it will have a non-wds bridge mode that should play well with any AP.

At that point, you could make a reflector

formatting link
) for both the AP and the Bridge and see if that gets you over the hump. I still would advise using it as a bridge, not repeater. __________________________________________

As far as cableing, we don't have any outdoor ethernet cable availible where I am, so I just ran the regular stuff inside some polyethelene irrigation tubing as conduit and sealed the ends. Don't know how long to expect it to last.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.