looking for a hackable router

I'm looking for a relativity inexpensive router that I can use to relay Internet over wifi.

One feature that I would need is a router with detachable antenna. I have cantenna that I would like to use, because I need to create a directional wifi hotspot that is about 600ft from the router and in a single direction.

A second feature is that I need is to be able to make a verifiable wifi connection to the router even when the router is not connected to the Internet. I would do this so that I can verify that the router is within range and that I will be able to "get around" the few trees between access points.

This router would connect to a second router that is connected to the Internet. This could be a wired Ethernet connect or a wifi connection. I would prefer to relay the wifi from channel 6 to some other channel. Because it might easer to convince the person with the net connection if I don't need to connect his router with Ethernet. However don't believe this is possible in the price range I am looking for. The router I would like to connect is ISP supplied and does not have detachable antennas and it's wifi range really sucks. It doesn't help that it is in a house with exterior sheet-metal paneling.

In addition feature that could come in handy is ip masquerading, I'm not sure if I need this feature, I'm not sure if it is possible with the computing power of in inexpensive router. It would also be interesting to use a router that runs Linux, but it would not be completely necessary.

If your asking why I don't just get the ISP to service my place It would take a whole 'nother long post to describe that.

Reply to
Steven Feil
Loading thread data ...

CompUSA brand G routers can be configured as repeaters. They are also cheap ($2.99 after rebate a couple of weeks ago), and have a detachable antenna (RP-SMA). You would probably have to hardwire connect the WAN interface on one unit to the LAN that has internet access and then use the wireless interface to create a repeater link to the remote CompUSA router. You can test the units out completely, even without having the WAN interface connected.

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

Quite a few support this - I have an SMC WBR2804 that has two detachable antennae.

all routers can do this, the wireless side is not dependent on the internet side.

Doing this wired is easy. Doing it wireless requires specific relay hardware, and will be trickier. Few if any retail routers or APs can act simultaneously as an AP and retransmitter. There /are/ a few, but the cost is that you halve the performance for each retransmit leg, and by the way, I recall that the same channel is used for both sides.

This sounds like youre trying to 'borrow' someone else's internet connection. I trust this is being done above-board and with consent from the owner and ISP.

This definitely sounds dodgy. What do you mean by this? All routers offer NAT capability, for what its worth. There's no need to further conceal your real address.

Which makes it sound even more dodgy... :-) Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.