Using Cell Phone WIFI Connection On Desktop

I have a Audiovox VX6700 smartphone from verizon. I no longer have the service but use the PDA which has WIFI and connects to an open connection in my area. Does anyone know how i can get my desktop computer, running windows 2000, to connect to the internet using that wifi connection?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. This 56k dial-up is driving me nuts.

Thanks, RajunRhino

Reply to
Rajun Rhino
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

You have permission to do so ... right?

Does the Audiovox VX6700 have a computer interface (cable, IrDA, Bluetooth) that supports Networking?

Reply to
John Navas

Of course I have permission. I have a usb cable that connects to the computer.

Reply to
Rajun Rhino

Read my question more carefully.

Reply to
John Navas

How do i find out? I have no clue. It has windows mobile 2006, bluetooth. I dont know if it supports networking or not

Reply to
Rajun Rhino

I can add a generic IrDA connection

Reply to
Rajun Rhino

"Rajun Rhino" hath wroth:

It's an XV6700 and it's made by UTStarcom and resold by Audiovox. |

formatting link
was thinking of getting one of those for myself.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for how to do Wi-Fi tethered access via a USB cable. The user manual at: |

formatting link
't very helpful. I'm not even sure that it can be done. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a Wi-Fi USB or PCI client adapter for your desktop?

Interesting review: |

formatting link
The stock Verizon version is apparently shipped allowing only Wi-Fi or cellular, one a time. This can be bypassed: |
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Check into a product called the Wiflyer at

formatting link
is a combo access point and a dialup modem/or can use a broadband modem (fits in a pocket for traveling too). I use it so both my laptops and pda can access the dialup/broadband. On free nights and weekends, I also use the cellphone as a modem on the network via usb cable and ICS. Note, to do that part, do NOT use any verizon software, it specifically stops any network sharing.. Just add the phone as a dial-up in the control panel/and enable share this connection....

While the Wiflyer is not specifically needed for what you want (network shareing of the cellphone), look at walmart for a linksys wrt54g - they sell em for $48.37. I use it to give my PDA access to both the network and dial-up too. Just plug the wiflyer into the wan input on he wap/router (instruct book says don't do it, so being contrary, I did and it, and it works great).. Another note, the WiFI network at home has three laptops with software modems that won't share/work with ICS, so I use the standard dial-up modem in it from everything (including the pda), and when in a place that has broadband, I just plug the broiadband input into the wiflyer and use that instead. I also use a kensigton Bluetooth USB adapter on one of the laptops, so I have full BT use of the network and anything on it when desired (links my DVR to my home network).

Bottom line, that allows you to have a true wireless network, including dial-up (and/or broadband), without those pesky phone cables. (and on free time, you can use the cell as a high speed data connection, although from my testing, works fine on regular dial-up, DSL, Cable, QWK2NET, 1Xrtt, but not EVDO )

Reply to
Peter Pan

You need someway to "attach" the PDA to your desktop. Does your pda support bluetooth? You may be able to connect the desktop and pda together via bluetooth and share the WIFI connection off of the PDA. I think want you are trying to do will be difficult however.

Reply to
dmlgirl

Please quote enough of the previous message for context. To do so from Google, click "show options" and use the Reply shown in the expanded header. For more information, please go here

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Read the fine manual.

Reply to
John Navas

Fine?!?!? I always thought it was Read the F***'ng manual. and that while fine is a four letter word. I thought it was a different 4 letter word.... :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Reply to
John Navas

I don't have an XV6700 Smartphone nor do I use Verizon, however, i am able to do what you're attempting to do using my Blackberry 7290 and my notebook PC. You will need at least a USB connection and then you will need to configure a new "DIALUP" connection even though you won't be dialing anything. Give me a minute to find the information I used..... In no way am I saying that this will work for your phone, however, I'd like to think that some of the procedures will be the same. The link is listed below and IT DOES WORK! In the meantime, I'll attempt to google for what you seek.

formatting link

Reply to
Doug Jamal

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Those articles are for how to use the EV-DO or 1xRTT cellular modem section of the XV6700 from with a laptop. He was asking how to use the 802.11 wi-fi section for connectivity. See quote (above) from the original question.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.