Linksys WRT54G wireless network just randomly stops

Got one of these units running with WPA personal, long shared key, G-only, only my wife's iBook and my linux laptop running off it. For reasons I don't understand -frequently when my wife and I are surfing away- the wireless network just drops off. I have to go downstairs and reset the security parameters, and then it comes back to life. While I dig in the dogpile -screw the spineless bastids @ google- does anyone have any silly wild ass guesses what I might be looking for as a cause?

Reply to
prodigal1
Loading thread data ...

1. Sporadic interference.
  2. Router falling over from file sharing (e.g., Bittorrent). See the FAQ below.
Reply to
John Navas

can you suggest possible sources of interference I should be investigating?

don't do peer-to-peer, Bittorrent...

Could it possibly be faulty hardware or is this kind of instability common with wireless?

Reply to
prodigal1

See the FAQ.

Unlikely to be a hardware problem. Possibly old firmware -- be sure to upgrade to the latest firmware.

Reply to
John Navas

been there, done that, none of those sources are issues at the times the network drops off can't identify any "competing" networks, using ch.11 myself microwave -not on cordless phones -not used no masses of leaded glass ;-)

I'll check that out. Cheers

Reply to
prodigal1

prodigal1 hath wroth:

What happens when you power the WRT54G on and off? Do the clients automagically reconnect? Do your really have to reset something to recover?

What hardware version of the WRT54G? V1 thru V5? It's on the serial number label.

What firmware version? This sounds vaguely like something I've seen on early V5 firmware.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I bought one of these a month ago (version 5) and it would just reset itself randomly which breaks the connection. After about a minute, the network would wake up all by itself. I could see it reset spontaneously since the lights would go out and then flash just like I momentarily pulled the plug out. It was running the latest firmware (1.00.6). It was returned for a replacement and that one did the same thing. I finally bought a cheap CompUSA branded G router and it has been working flawlessly for the past week. I returned the Linksys and got my money back. I have heard that some combinations of configuration and traffic can cause this. I had a PPPoE WAN connection and mixed B & D clients running WEP security. Linksys support was of no help so I just gave up on it.

David

Reply to
David

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.