using 2 Wireless NIC's ...

Does XP Pro support accessing 2 Wireless NIC's at the same time ? If so, how does one determine which NIC is used to access what wireless resource ?

Specifically, I want to use:

- NIC_1 (built-in INTEL-Pro wireless of my DELL laptop) to access other computers in my office network (files and networked printer)

- NIC_2 (Buffalo type "G" wireless card plugged into the DELL's PCMCIA slot) to access my home wireless access point ... which is in a high-rise across the parking lot. I want to use it for P2P file exchange and MSN messenger "voice" ... something which the office network firewall filters out.

Thanks for any tips,

-RS-

Reply to
-RS-
Loading thread data ...

I cannot imagine it handles wireless networks any different than regular wired NICs. As with any networking scenario, your routing table will determine which card is used for which resource. In your layout, it would be handled simply by having a gateway defined for NIC_2. As long as the subnets are different for each network, you'll have no issues AFAIK...

Reply to
jeffreyvsmith

Apart from being handled by the routing table, you'll need to configure the P2P and messenger clients to use your home route, configuring a proxy would be a start.

BTW, you're the type of user that your IT staff hate! There's a reason they install filters and firewalls and using an unauthorised (probably) entry to the network isn't going to win favours with them.

:) David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Yes, I can see that security concern. The only thing I can say in my defense is that we are in a real estate office with 50 "independent" agents, so we have our own computers or small P2P networks. I only can access the Office printer from our little in-office (small "o" to denote it's a "sub-network" of 2 desktops and 2 notebooks) network. In other words, we don't use the main Office (used by administration) network (which is not "wireless", BTW) for files or email services. We get our webpages via the LAN plug that let's us print from the Office's networked color laser printer down the hall.

Does that help? It still is, potentially, a way for a hacker to get access to the Office/office networks ... if security is not tight. But for that matter, any of the other laptop users down the hall with wireless, pose a similar security weakness ... do they not?

-RS-

Reply to
-RS-

you can have multiple network adapters in use simultaneously. Routing of traffic to them is a fairly complex business however, and not something you want to get into.

Assuming you won't want to use both at the same time, this shouldn't be a problem. The builtin one will be set to associate with the office AP, and your own one with your home network.

If you mean that you want to use your home network to let you use these services and thus get round the company firewallI would VERY STRONGLY recommend against doing this. Your company has a security policy which prohibits P2P and messenger, deliberately breaching it will be a sackable offense for gross misconduct. You won't get any second chances. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Its a serious security concern. Your laptop would be a bridge between the internet and the INSIDE of your company firewall. You could be responsible for letting hackers, viruses and so on in. You really really don't want to go there.

Only if they can connect to your office network.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Either way, not my problem so I don't care but yes you're all a security problem :)

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.