Wireless Connection Lost after Reboot

Sorry for x-posting but I wanted to get maximum coverage for this post as it's really annoying me.

I have a Dell laptop (Latitude D800) with built-in b/g wireless (Dell TrueMobile 1300) and a Linksys WAP11 Access Point.

On my AP I have WEP swtched on, MAC filtering enabled, and I have disabled SSID broadcast. I also use static IPs and have DHCP disabled for maximum security.

They have always worked great together.

Last weekend I formatted my laptop to clean it up and I wanted to install SP2 (it's Windows XP Pro by the way). Also installed the latest drivers for my hardware from Dell.

After the format I am unable to connect to the wireless LAN unless I enable SSID broadcast (which I obviously don't want to do).

If I turn on SSID broadcast, my connection works instantly. I can then disable SSID broadcast and it continues to work.

However, as soon as I reboot the laptop, my connection is lost and I can't get it back without re-enabling SSID broadcast.

I have tried it with Dell's software managing the wireless connection and with SP2 managing the connection. I have even uninstalled all the dell sofwtware except the driver needed for the hardware and still I get the same problem.

I don't think it's the Access Point, as I have another laptop with a Linksys PCMCIA card in and that works fine with the SSID broadcast disabled.

Has anyone got any advice please?

Reply to
K
Loading thread data ...

Have you set up your SSID, AP, in your prefered networks window to connect automatically?

Robert....

Reply to
DLink Guru

WIndows XP SP-2 does not like it when you do not broadcast your SSID, however, it will allow you to connect if you decide not to broadcast. Uncheck the box that states "automatically connect to non-preferred networks" and make your network preferred.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

I can use this, too, but uncheck what box where?

Brad

Reply to
Avalanche

Double click on your wireless connection in the system tray. Click on the properties button, goto the Wireless Network Tab click on the Advanced Button. Uncheck the box that says Automatically connect to non-prefered networks.

Reply to
DLink Guru

Yes I have, and it works instantly first time when I do it. However when I reboot it refuses to re-connect.

Reply to
K

Thanks

I will give this a try tonight.

Reply to
K

Why not? Sorry, that decision is hardly obvious from my point of view.

The only squashed SSID decision that I've agreed with (sort of) revolved around politics. An IT department wanted to test different wireless configurations and access point locations without the self-important VIP types demanding access.

Reply to
Brian

Thanks Guru. I was in a rush and failed to "completely" answer the question. Thanks again.

Reply to
bishiv6AT

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.