I'm having real difficulty setting a wireless network

I'm running XP and have set up a wireless network, the wireless adapter can detect the wireless router and says it's connected but I cant ping the rotuer nor connect to the internet!

Could it be a firewall setting or do I need to set up home network ?

I've already spent 6 hours stressing over this so any ideas are welcome

Note I can connect the ethernt cable to the rotuer and connect out so I know the router works!

HD

formatting link

Reply to
HunkyDoreyMan
Loading thread data ...

You configured the wireless network connection to use DHCP?

I'm assuming you're a complete beginner. If so, you should at least run the Microsoft wizard.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

The machine is not getting an IP from the router that's going to allow it access the Internet and it's most likely due to some kind of mis-configuration between the wireless router and the NIC.

You can do IPconfig /all at the DOS Command prompt and it will tell you the IP the machine has assigned to it. If the IP starts with 169, that's a timeout and the O/S assigned it or the IP is zero. In either case, the machine is not using an IP from the router that's going to allow it to access the Internet.

That also means the machine has an IP from the router that's going to allow it to access the Internet.

You may want to call Tech Support for your equipment and let them get you over the hump.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.