wireless printing with 2 laptops

hello, We have two laptops at our home office running on a wireless network with a Westell Versalink (327W15-06) modem/router (it came with the verizon DSL package). The specs for the router can be found here

formatting link
also have a Minolta 2300DL printer (for specs see
formatting link
Currently we have to walk the laptops to the printer and connect the USB 2 cable. We'd like to connect the printer to wireless router so that both laptops can print directly. The printer has an ethernet port so I'm wondering if I can connect the printer to a slot in the router?

We also have a Motorola WR850G wireless router sitting around that we could use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sandra

Reply to
stan
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@calliopeboutique.com wrote in news:1133060482.759792.158520 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Long

formatting link
Short

formatting link
You can get yourself one of those in the link above and connected to a LAN port on the router and connect the printer to it and all machines wired or wireless will be able to print to the printer.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I hate automatic responses like Duane's. Can anyone else out there help me out? Thanks

Reply to
stan
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

It was actually a pretty good response. Follow the link, and give it a bit more thought.

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas wrote in news:IIOif.103078$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

You can lead the horse to the water but you can't make the horse drink.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Duane Arnold wrote in news:Xns971CCDF0EE8BAnotmenotmecom@207.217.125.201:

From a signature in another group:

You can lead a horse's ass to knowledge, but you can't make him think.

Lynn Killingbeck

Reply to
LC Killingbeck

Am I missing something here? From the original post: "The printer has an ethernet port so I'm wondering if I can connect the printer to a slot in the router?" And from the printer's website: "The magicolor 2300 DL arrives ready for your network with a built-in

10/100BaseTX Ethernet interface." Why does he need a separate print server?
Reply to
emtech

Yes.

If the printer isn't close to the router, then you can use a wireless access point, i.e. I use a Buffalo WLA2-G54C plugged into the Ethernet port of my multi-function printer/scanner.

What you want to avoid on multi-function printer/scanners, is to connect a wireless USB adapter to the USB port, because you'll only be able to print.

Reply to
SMS

The author described what he's got, which is a "printer [which] has an ethernet port"; he's just a little unfamiliar with the mechanics of such a connection. The standalone print server that you recommend would seem to be redundant for this model of printer, wouldn't it?

Well, I suppose that you could always try a little smug superiority.

Reply to
emtech

emtech wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If the printer has a built in print server then it will be recognized as a network device that can use a static or DHCP IP on the router no problem. Otherwise, you're wasting your time. Something has to get an IP from the router which is the standalone print server connected to the router and the printer is connected to it.

Now if the OP doesn't know what he has got, what can I say about it.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I agree. From web site

Enabling/Disabling HTTP on the magicolor 2300 DL

1. Ready light should be on.

1. Printer panel display should read IDLE/MAGICOLOR 2300DL.

2. Press the MENU/SELECT button.

1. Next, press the Right Arrow until you see MENU/NETWORK.

1. Press the Right Arrow until you see HTTP:ON (or HTTP:OFF, whichever the case may be).

1. Press the Right Arrow until you see the state you desire (whether ON or OFF).

2. Press the MENU/SELECT button. You should see X IS SELECTED briefly, where X is the state you designated.

1. Press Up Arrow until you see IDLE/MAGICOLOR 2300DL.

He should be able to use DHCP or manually IP an address for the printer

Reply to
Rob

emtech wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I am glad you figured it out. You want to hold his hand, then hold the OP's hand and help him and drop this coverstation as it means nothing to me.

Reply to
Duane Arnold
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Seems there's almost always somebody late to the party that has to pipe in without taking the time to see that the question's already been answered. :)

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.