Basic question on hooking a wireless antenna with the ExpressCard 34 slot

I have a basic wireless network interface card question.

All I want is to attach an 802.11 wifi card in my laptop with an external antenna to boost the laptop's wireless range.

I already had an Enteras Networks Roamabout 802.11 wifi card with an antenna connection. But, when I plug the Enteras Networks RoamAbout wifi card into the laptop slot, nothing happens. It doesn't even seem to fit!

Looking up the specs for my laptop, I find it's a basic laptop with an "ExpressCard 34 slot". Looking up the specs for the card, it's a PCMCIA card.

Do they make ExpressCard Standard wifi cards? Which would you recommend that has an external antenna?

Reply to
Sharon
Loading thread data ...

You could try a Ubiquiti SRX

formatting link
will have to provide your own antenna.

Reply to
LR

which laptop ?

Reply to
ps56k

Thank you.

I was doing research and found this card to be lacking in reviews D-Link DWA-643 ExpressCard Wireless Network Adapter

formatting link
But the Belkin ExpressCard seemed to have better reviews Belkin N Wireless Express Card F5D8073
formatting link
I'll compare the Belkin with the Ubiquiti SRX.
formatting link
One thing I'll want is the extra antenna slot and I don't know yet which ones have that and which don't.

Reply to
Sharon

An HP. With 80211.g but only with an internal antenna. And it only has an express card, it doesn't have the stacked PC card.

formatting link
I want the maximum range that an external antenna can give me.

Reply to
Sharon

Digging more, it seems these three wireless expresscards seem to be considered the ones for me to buy .....

1. Ubiquiti SRX (SuperRange Xpress)
  2. Belkin N1 ExpressCard
  3. Linksys WUSB54GC USB Adapter NIC

While I like the Belkin name (never heard of Ubiquiti before), I unfortunately read that it doesn't work in promiscuous mode

formatting link
I'm going to consider myself a very junior trainee wannabee war driver as of this moment cuz I'm excited about the possibilities but I don't know anything yet. I do realize I gotta start with a card and some basic knowledge (Linux will have to come later).

I'm looking up whether the Ubiquiti SRX or Linksys WUSB54GC can go promiscuous and I'll get the one that does (if either one does).

Reply to
Sharon

I forgot to list the model of the HP. It's the TX1120US

Reply to
Sharon

Ah, I see, after googling some more, that it isn't so simple to pick a card without knowing some information. So, you can't help me more unless I do some homework. Here's my first homework.......

1. State my requirements a. Long range (as long as possible) so an antenna & jack is necessary b. Windows XP (I learned I can't "inject packets" ... hmmm... what's that?) c. Must work in promiscuous mode (so the chipset starts to matter)
  2. List my constraints a. The wireless NIC must be ExpressCard or USB dongle b. I might boot the WinXP laptop to Knoppix if I must use Linux commands c. I think there's a bootable OS called "Backtrack 2", which might work
  3. I must learn the basics of a wireless card a. Apparently promiscuous mode depends on the chipset, not the manufacturer b. The model number is an important factor b. Apparently even the card revision or card version is a key factor
  4. Determine the chipset a. Apparently HWiNFO shareware on Windows helps
    formatting link
    On Knoppix, I'd use the "dmesg" command ("lsmod" might also work) c. I don't yet know if there is an ExpressCard equivalent to "lspci"
  5. Verify the chipset capabilities a. Apparently the RT73 chipset has promiscuous mode capabilities
  6. Determine the drivers and patches required a. Apparently the RT73 drivers seem to work well
  7. Select a card (this is the long list for now until I research each one) a. Ubiquiti SRX
    formatting link
    Edimax EW-7318USG USB 2.0 (I think it's the rausb0 or rt2500 chipset) c. Belkin FD7050 v4 USB adapter (zd1211rw chipset)

Before I go too much farther, can you advise me as to whether or not I need "injection"? If so, I'd have to move to Linux (Knoppix? Backtrack2?).

What I want to do is have fun learning about this wireless game and finding and listening to open connections (or WEP connections if I ever get good at this).

So, I know I need promiscuity but do I need "injection"? The reason I ask is it changes the decision as to which card to buy.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Sharon

Given I saw the Ralink R73 chipset highly recommended, here's the first pass results for the Edimax EW-7318USG USB 2.0 (this one seems nice to be able to extend the card to outside the car using a simple USB cable)

formatting link

1. My Requirements
*. [x] WinXP *. [x] External 4Db antenna (RP-SMA interface) *. [?] Monitor mode (aka promiscuous mode)

1. My Constraints

*. [x] ExpressCard or USB (it's USB) *. [x] 802.11a, 802.11b (but not 802.11n) *. [x] Supports WPA, WEP, AES, and WPA2 security

1. NIC Description

*. Brand = Edimax (seems to be the same as Alfa AWUS036S & Hawking HWUG1) *. Model = EW-7318USG USB 2.0 *. Chipset = Ralink rt73 *. Drivers = can be used with RT73 drivers *. Revision = *. FCC ID: NDD-957318S607 (same as Hawking HWUG1) *. Known problems = overheats

Perhaps more powerful adapters might be the the Edimax AWUS036E (316mW) or the Alfa 500mW (same as the Edimax AWUS036H) so I'm still digging 'cuz I can't find 'em yet on the specifications side.

Reply to
Sharon

This decision is getting harder the more I look it up! :(

For example, the Edimax EW-7318USG seems to transmit 50mW while others such as the Alfa AWUS036H USB seem to transmit ten times that (500mW) ..... so now I want the Alfa AWUS036H - but then I have to look up all the specifications again!

Besides, I'm finding the Signal to Noise rating (aka SNR) also matters in addition to the transmit power - and I didn't look at the SNR until now. Sigh.

To belatedly compare the SNR for the two, here's what I found to be the minimum SNR needed to connect

Edimax 7318USg receive sensitivity:

54Mbps: -70dBm 11Mbps = -83.5dBm

Alfa AWUS036H receive sensitivity:

54Mpbs (64QAM): -76dbm 48Mbps (64QAM): -71dbm 36Mpbs (16QAM): -78dbm 24Mbps (16QAM): -80dbm 18Mbps (QPSK): -81dbm 12Mpbs (QPSK): -82dbm 9Mbps (BPSK): -85dbm 6Mbps (BPSK): -91dbm

I'm not sure how to read these numbers but they seem pretty similar.

Do these two cards seem similar to you?

Reply to
Sharon

Sorry for the blog but I'm so excited about learning these things ..... this is a great site for information that should help

formatting link

Reply to
Sharon

Drat. The Alfa AWUS036H has a ten times more powerful tranmitter (500mW) than the Edimax EW-7318USG (50 mW) but it apparently has much buggier XP and Linux drivers. That might make a difference.

Is this greater TX power all important for war driving wannabees like me? Or is the RX SNR sensitivity a more important consideration?

Reply to
Sharon

Old ham mantra: you can't hear um you can't work um

Reply to
NotMe

Check out the Ubiquiti forums

formatting link

Reply to
DTC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.