Use wireless router to extend network wirelessly? - over wireless

I have a linksys wireless router setup with my cable modem. I have a second wireless router of the same type, and I was wondering if it's possible for a WAP to accept an IP address from my other router and (turning DHCP off etc) be able to use the wired ports in another location in the house?

Kevin

Reply to
ksw139
Loading thread data ...

On 23 Aug 2006 09:51:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

You need a wireless client bridge, not a wireless router. If the router has WDS repeater mode, you may be able to get it to work, albeit at half the speed unless you turn its radio off.

Reply to
John Navas

Depending on the model of the router it may be possible to configure it as a wireless client. Then it'll do what you're after. Things like the WRT54G series can even load a 3rd party firmware to do it. I've got one in my boat doing just that.

Yeah, WDS sure seems like a compromise hardly worth making.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Yea, I've been googling, and actually found a few good firmwares... but will I be able to revert to the actual Linksys firmware if I want to down the line?

Kevin

Bill Kearney wrote:

Reply to
ksw139

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.