USB to Ethernet Cable

I am looking to hardwire my laptop to my router as I am having problems connecting it wirelessly. All my other computers connect with no problems, apart from my laptop.

Now, my laptop doesn't have an Ethernet port and so I am just wondering, can you purchase Ethernet to USB cables and I can plug the USB end into the laptop and the Ethernet end into the router?

Reply to
Jumbo's Chippy
Loading thread data ...

I you give the model of your laptop and the specific problems you are having, you may get help to get it working as it should.

It seems silly to add more hardware when you already have built-in hardware to get connected....

Reply to
Eric

My laptop is a Hewlett Packard 4150B Omnibook laptop. I am using a Belkin Wireless G Network Card. I have tried the USB dongle that is on my desktop (which I know works) and still no joy. I am running Windows XP.

My laptop is about 4-5 years old now. I have had it connected before to a broadband connection, but just not a wireless router broadband connection

Reply to
Jumbo's Chippy

My laptop is a Hewlett Packard 4150B Omnibook laptop. I am using a Belkin Wireless G Network Card. I have tried the USB dongle that is on my desktop (which I know works) and still no joy. I am running Windows XP.

My laptop is about 4-5 years old now. I have had it connected before to a broadband connection, but just not a wireless router broadband connection

Reply to
Jumbo's Chippy

Reply to
Jumbo's Chippy
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

What does "no joy" mean? Do you get a wireless adapter icon for the Belkin card in Control Panel -> Network Connections? Can you then open it and see any available wireless networks? If not, try removing and reinstalling the drivers for the Belkin card.

Reply to
John Navas

Yes, I can see the available networks. When I click on one to connect though, it fails to connect. It asks me for the network password (which I enter correctly) and it then tries to connect for a few minutes and fails to connect in the end. If I right click on properties for the wireless connection, it states that there is an invalid IP address

Reply to
Jumbo's Chippy
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Sounds like a password problem, typically ASCII versus hex. Enter the same key in *hex* on both the router and wireless adapter. Or test it with security turned off temporarily.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.