Ethernet cable not working, USB is working

I just got my Toshiba PCX2200 cable modem. I tried to connect using the ethernet cable. The cable modem lights for "Cable", "PC" and "Power" are on and "Data"

is flashing. However my laptop does not find a network. It is saying that the cable is unplugged. I know I do not have problem with my laptop nor the network card, since I am able to hookup to other networks.

Using the USB cable I don't have a problem at all. I can connect.

I am thinking to buy a wireless router, but with this problem it may be

a waste of money since, I may not be able to connect through the ethernet cable.

Please help.

Reply to
Isurf
Loading thread data ...

Unplug the USB connection, plug in the Ethernet connection. Reset the modem (unplug, count to 3, plug back in). When the modem registers again, renew your IP address (should happen automagically with XP). If this doesn't work, you may have a crossover cable (wire colors should be the same on both ends of the cable when you hold the connectors side by side), or a bad ethernet port.

Reply to
Eric

Have you rebooted while the Ethernet cable is connected?

Have you tried, from a command prompt, doing an 'IPCONFIG /release', followed by 'IPCONFIG /renew'?

If using XP, have you tried the REPAIR option in the left panel when you click on the Ethernet connection in Control Panel/Network Settings?

If you directly connected to the cable modem, you cannot use a fixed address. The network connection will need to be configured for DHCP (Option xxxx automatically in the TCP/IP properties.)

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Power down the modem. While power to the modem is off, disable the USB NIC, Enable the ethernet NIC. Shut down computer. Power up the modem, then boot the computer. See if this helps. If not, Google for winsockxpfix.exe to fix problems with layered services (assumes WinXP).

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.