USB Network Adaptor

Without software? As in, crack open the case and break out the soldering iron? Not me.

Reply to
Auric__
Loading thread data ...

Hello everyone

I have an 'Belkin High-Speed Mode Wireless G USB Network Adaptor' installed on my computer. Does anyone know a way to change or spoof the MAC Address of the USB?

How do you achieve this without the use of software? And is possible with the use of software? TIA

(I've already checked properties via the 'Device Manager'.)

Bobby

Reply to
bobbbybobbyiii

Your USB isn't the one with the MAC address, it's the eathernet port. It's in the hardware. I don't know of any way to change it. Why would you want to?

It might be possible to spoof it through a software hack, but this would be 1) risky 2) slow your connection 3) not easy 4) probably unnessesary if you are using an intranet

Reply to
jumpin jeffery

the MAC address on ethernet cards is held in a teensie little piece of ROM silicon on you network card. there is no changing it in hardware. (well, ~I~ could, with a soldering iron and a new serial PROM part, but it would take some research and time.) its there so that every single goddamned NIC has a unique hardware address so that clashes on networks are minimized.

as for the wireless network, i imagine they ALSO use a unique set of numbers to eliminate data confusion. but dont get the USB interface on the box confused logically with the wireless interface on the box. USB uses a different format for unique identification, as the maximum allowed USB devices that can be connected all together is rather small compared to the bazillions that ethernet, or potentially wireless, can connect.

if what you are trying to do is to masquerade as a recognized wireless device on someone elses network, say your neighbor who has broadband, if they have the basic security shit set up for their wireless network youll have a VERY hard time getting in.

jesuslordgod. i actually sound like i know what im talking about.

scary.

Reply to
dave hillstrom

Actually some windows drivers will let you change the MAC addy that is broadcast, some 3Com cards if memory serves and probably some others, also under linux it is trivial to change the MAC address.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

i suppose if the cards firmware allows it, it might only initialize the MAC from silicon, allowing it to be changed through software.

Reply to
dave hillstrom

Can't you just drive by a Starbucks?

I a MAC address a Mac thing? What does MAC stand for?

Reply to
=^.FixCat.^=

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 14:50:37 -0400, "=^.FixCat.^=" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

thank you! i heard i have one and it's working fine :-)

Reply to
=^.FixCat.^=

Media Access Control address

its nearly the lowest level in the protocol stack. just go look it up on wikipedia, you.

Reply to
dave hillstrom

OK, I know who I'm asking stuff to. All these knowledgeable folks sound so dangerous! Knowledge=Dangerous=Sexy??

Isn't the MAC change under Linux a spoofy thing? Like, it's intercepted and altered, the card MAC stays the same, doesn't it? It's not a rewrite of a PROM that the Linux drivers do, is it? Not like you could Linux install it, change the MAC, and then put the card inna MSbox and have a new MAC on it, right? I thought they weren't allowed to put the MAC in a programmable space...

Reply to
jumpin jeffery

i imagine this is getting into a very card specific area. cheap RTL8139 or VIA cards, no way, id think. but if youve got some mid to high end intel or 3Com card, you probably have a bunch more options, like a FLASH based firmware you can "upgrade". maybe even some eeprom on the bitch for setup values. so, unless someone KNOWS better, the answer might be "it depends"

pc software isnt my area. im more a hardware guy, with forays into firmware, all non pc-ish. but ive worked for a few component distributors as a sales engineer and i learned a bunch of pc shit, most notably when i worked for Future Electronics, which had AMD as one of its lines. before that id worked for a rep firm who had Chips & Tech as a line, too. so i got a lot of sales training on their parts and basic theory. but its all like 6 to 10 years old.

it sounds like frozennorth has more up to date experience.

Reply to
dave hillstrom

Well yeah, but sexy women make me nervous. I tend to squirm a lot when they are talking. Seems to annoy them, like they think I'm not really listening or something. Like I'm just thinking about, well; stuff they'd rather I wasn't thinking about.

feedback is such a b-tch at least up until that moment when...

OK. I am NOT going there. Today. By myself(not a feedback). Need to sniff something musky.

What about those MAC addresses, eh? Are they allowed to make them progammable?

Reply to
jumpin jeffery

youd have to pour through your cards info, id guess...

Reply to
dave hillstrom

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 20:19:47 -0400, dave hillstrom wrote in :

I think this is getting into a cracking specific area, which shouldn't be facilitated. I've seen no legitimate purpose, thus far at least.

Reply to
John Navas

im guessing you arent posting from alt.hackers.malicious, are you.

Reply to
dave hillstrom

from his credentials, one might guess which of the above listed groups he resides within...

Reply to
jumpin jeffery

jeeze daev - what's got your panties in a wad? you call me a tard and then you're kinda short with me.

*sniff*
Reply to
=^.FixCat.^=

he's a bit miffed that his pooper came up short...again.

Reply to
rock

If you want to post content only appropriate to alt.hacker.malicious, do it there and avoid crossposting it to other groups. F'up set to a.h.m

Reply to
Leo Fellmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.