effects and remedies for low signal?

got a belkin wireless G+ NIMO router, and Belkin Wireless G+ NIMO USB adaptor

But windows xp effectively says signal is weak. When the desktop is far away it shows only one thing lit up. But it has to be far away. I have one desktop near the router and another further away.

I've heard that with MIMO there isn't much I can do . ??!!

And, i've been told that i can't use any kind of booster or amplifier? it won't work?

i'm not in front of it at the moment.

I'm going to try repositioning the router antenna so that the side of it faces the router. Rather than the tip.

I tried changing Channels. 4,6,11. That didn't help.

And i'll try changing "Air Connection rate"/speed? (apparently lower speed can give more range?!

this is all quite alien to me.. I lack an amateur radio background. Are there any books and websites on it?

TIA

Reply to
jameshanley39
Loading thread data ...

Try a reflector.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
me here

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk" hath wroth:

I'm too lazy to lookup the exact model numbers.

How weak? How far? Through what obstacles? Numbers are more interesting than generalizations.

That's correct. The multiple antennas cannot easily be extended unless you want to extend all 3 antennas. Flat plate reflectors

*MIGHT* work, but a single parabolic and corner reflectors will probably not work. I haven't tried it, but you're welcome to experiment.

Your best bet is to position the router or the USB adapter for the best possible line of sight location. Otherwise, some other form of networking (ethernet, power line, CATV, phone line, etc) might be a suitable alternative.

Actually, your best bet is to return the MIMO router and purchase a more conventional 802.11g router that allows the easy addition of external antennas. I don't recommend amplifiers. However, if your line of sight is severely obstructed, or your area is infested with severe interference, then no amount of antenna work is going to help.

Correct. Same problem. You would need 3 phase matched, identical amplifiers, for this to work.

Monitor the signal strength on the wireless client (USB) end. Move things around slowly. Look for maximum signal to noise ratio.

Try 1, 6, or 11. That's to avoid interference. For squeezing that last bit of range out of the system, use Ch 6, which tends to have very slightly higher gain in the antennas, and less loss in the RF filters. I don't think you'll see a difference, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Correct. The router will try to always display the highest speed possible. That's not what you're currently looking for. I suggest you temporarily lock the speed at 6Mbits/sec, which is the slowest OFDM (802.11g) speed available. That will give you the range benifit of the slower speed without losing the ability to better survive reflections using MIMO. Also turn off all the speed enhancement features.

Well, yes. It's an awful lot of reading to do in a short time to fix one router. I'm not sure what reading you're looking for. Try these for a start:

FAQ:

Intel Wireless Hotspot Deployment Guide:

Lots in there on how Wi-Fi works at the user level. Unfortunately, nothing on MIMO.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I don't think those are suitable for NIMO, although the Belkin MIMO only has two antennas

formatting link
expected three, maybe with the center being different, like the Belkin N1
formatting link

Reply to
dold

In the end it really depends on the size of the house. I once got a tech support call from a rich guy how kept blaming his ISP. I asking him where his wireless router is in the house. He said on the far north end. I said ok, how many sq ft is the house. He said 4200! I said holy shit 1 router or AP isn't going to do it for you. The estimates the companies give you is for a standard 1500 sq ft house. Not one that 4 times that size. I suggested he call a local networking company and they install several AP's to meet his needs.

Reply to
Doug Simar

Check out Powerline Networking. It uses your house wiring to carry the signal all around the house.

formatting link

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.