Two Access Points - help please

connection

You will need an AP running in AP mode and a switch or a wireless router. The router would probably be the cheapest way to go.

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

I would appreciate some advice.

Currently have 2 PCs wired to a non-wireless ADSL Modem/Router. In addition, I have a D-Link DWL900+ AP in my loft. This is also wired to the Modem/Router.

In another house, 100 metres away, I have another DWL-900+ set up as a client to the AP in my house. This is wired to 1 PC.

This all works fine and the internet is available on any of the 3 networked PCs.

However, I wish to connect a laptop in the other house using a PCMCIA card. Can the laptop connect wirelessly to the existing DWL-900+? Should the AP be configured as a repeater? Or do I need to buy a wireless router (e.g. Linksys BEFW11S4-UK or D-Link DI-514) to connect between the wired PC and the AP and then obtain a wireless connection between the laptop and the wireless router?

I would appreciate any advice.

Reply to
Kevin

If you are using the AP as a client, then no, a new wireless device will not beable to connect. I would suggest ad-hoc mode, but am unsure if the AP can be configured fo it.

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Kevin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

1. The laptop cannot connect wirelessly to the existing DWL-900AP+ when it is configured in Wireless Client mode
  2. Don't configure it in Repeater mode. You will suffer a speed drop of 50%. This is because it only has a single radio and must first listen then retransmit. You also can't use the Ethernet connection when it's in Repeater mode, as the device becomes entirely transparent.
  3. Suggest you pick up an Ethernet switch and another DWL-900AP+ on eBay. Configure the 'new' DWL-900AP+ in Access Point mode. Connect the Client and AP devices to the switch, and away you go. Both wired and wireless devices can now connect. You will not suffer the same drop in throughput as with a repeater, since there are now two radios

- but there will be some reduction.

As you suggest, you could always buy a wireless router. If you're not using the routing function, connect the DWL-900AP+ client to one of the LAN ports, give the device a static IP address in the same subnet as your router, turn off DHCP and away you go. You will just be using it as a switch + AP.

Or (if it doesn't have a built-in ADSL modem) you could connect to the WAN port, and use 'double NAT' to give a different local network with its own DHCP server - things can become complex, though.

Personally I like the DWL-900AP+ and would go with the first of these suggestions. Should cost around £30 in total (DWL-900AP+ @ £25, switch @ £5 say).

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.