Connection In and Out and In and Out -- Driving me Bonkers!

I have a Linksys WRT54G router with a Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter in a desktop. The connection just recently started going in and out and in and out ... comes on for a minute, goes off for a minute. Comes on for a few minutes, goes off for a few minutes.

There is no interference that I can locate, plus it used to work fine .... and whenever my connection goes out, there is another linksys router somewhere in my apartment building that is always available (it's on a different channel though) and never strong enough for me to get a usable signal from.

Does anyone know a common reason this would happen? Thanks so much, it's driving me insane.

-John

Reply to
John ©
Loading thread data ...

I am also having the same problem with my Linksys WRT54GS router. The signal is there, then gone, then there again. I too have a neighbor who has a wireless network, which I only pick up when my is out.

I tried updating the router's firmware and changing channels on the router through the web page interface, but still had signal in/out problems.

I have verified that my problem was with the router by having both my old wireless 802.11b router and my new 802.11g router on at the same time. When my G router went dead/out, I was still able to pick up my old B router signal. I also verified this with a spectrum analyzer, so I could verify the router was actually dead and that the signal was gone not because of some interference.

I have written to Linksys, and they recommended returning it back to them for a new one. I just bought mine a month ago, so I am in the process of getting an RMA number and returning it under warranty.

If yours is still under warranty, I would recommend the same. You may end up with a newer version/model of router with a new chipset which may work better.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Reply to
brane

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.