wireless PC connected to network connection

I am using a DLink DI-624 rev. C router with 2.70 firmware at home. There is one desktop PC wired to the router and two laptops in the house that connect wirelessly. I also have a Dell Axim that I connect wirelessly on occasion. The other day I noticed my log filling up with many entries stating "Wireless PC Connected." This entry would show up sometimes every 7 seconds, other times, over 4 minutes would elapse before another entry. I rebooted the router (and lost my logs) but that 'wireless PC' would connect again within minutes. I had WEP encryption running but I did not recognize the MAC address for this 'wireless PC'. I have now enabled MAC filtering and only allowed the home PCs and Axim access to the router. I will also change the WEP from 64 bit to 128 bit and change the key. I cannot switch to WPA without cutting my Axim off (it does not support WPA). Now that unidentified PC does not show up as being connected. I had run Shields Up! before this and no ports were open. My questions are:

1. This may be obvious, but did one of my neighbors manage to figure out my WEP code and get into my network? I am assuming that since the log said it was a wireless PC, it had to be someone within range of the router.
  2. Why the frequent connections? Was it possibly a poor connection and the neighbor just kept connecting over and over?
  3. I never saw any "DHCP lease IP ### to" information for the wireless PC. I do see that when one of the authorized PCs logs on. What does that mean? Did that help me in any way when the unauthorized PC logged on (the fact that no DHCP was leased to the 'wireless pc')?

Sorry for the basic questions. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
sehale
Loading thread data ...

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing your insights. I am obviously no expert at this but I was wondering why there were so many attempts with no DHCP request or lease. However, the MAC address indicated it was a Cisco brand and I don't know of anything in the house with that. I may bite the bullet and increase the security to WPA at the expense of the Axim. Thanks again. I will monitor this and post back anything else.

Reply to
sehale

It might have been entirely innocent. Some wireless cards, set up for ad-hoc networking, will search on the strongest signal repeatedly. Your Axim will do this while waiting for you to select a network if the radio is turned; you can verify this in the wireless log. If you were hacked, the foreign MAC address should have been reported in the router's DHCP client table and in the MAC address filtering table (depending on the router, not all have a dynamic MAC address table). A connection has to first be made to begin negotiating with the router, so the fact of connection is more or less innocuous, IMO, since there was no authorization for an IP address (i.e., WEP worked).

You are caught behind the security curve, as I am, with expensive devices that predate WPA. The only interim solution is to do as you did to enhance network security.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing your insights. I am obviously no expert at this but I was wondering why there were so many attempts with no DHCP request or lease. However, the MAC address indicated it was a Cisco brand and I don't know of anything in the house with that. I may bite the bullet and increase the security to WPA at the expense of the Axim. Thanks again. I will monitor this and post back anything else.

Reply to
sehale

Informational update: When I got home, I changed the WEP to 128 bit encryption with a new passphrase. I then tried to connect my Axim to the network while watching the router log. An entry appeared showing that a wireless pc had connected (obviously not the unidentified one whose MAC address I did not recognize). On the Axim, it showed me as connected to the network, but I could not get onto the internet. I deleted the settings on the Axim, put in the new WEP info, and connected again. This time the same 'wireless pc connected' message appeared in the router log which was immediately followed by a DHCP lease entry and my Axim's name. That tells my limited mind that perhaps Quaoar's opinion that the entries I saw previously from the unknown computer were innocuous and did not actually get all the way through. There were no other entries on the log since I added the MAC filtering last night.

The Dell Axim is an x3i and in it's current state, is not capable of WPA encryption. There is a discussion ongoing in the Aximsite forum about using

3rd party apps (Odyssey, etc.) for WPA capability but it has not been confirmed yet.

Thanks again to all for the time and advice.

Reply to
Shawn E. Hale
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

That's probably what happened. 64-bit WEP is laughably easy to crack.

Yes.

The intruder may have a static configuration.

Switching to 128-bit WEP is better than nothing, but not much, and MAC address filtering is pretty much worthless. I strongly advise upgrading the Axim and everything else to WPA (with a long strong passphrase), and in the meantime changing your WEP key frequently.

Reply to
John Navas

Good description.

Bad description. What model Dell Axim?

Some models have a built in WPA client. Others allow for add in software such as the Odessy client.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Not necessarily -- as noted in my prior response, the intruder could have a static configuration.

I suggest you continue to keep an eye on it.

Reply to
John Navas

The Axim X50v does come with Odyssey. Unfortunately, it also comes with practically no useful information on setting it up so users ignore its capabilities.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.