Connect ethernet devices to an existing wireless router network

I have a linksys wireless router (WRT54G) on second floor of my home, with a coonection to internet througha cable modem, and two computer wired to the router, and desktop with a wireless card.

On the first floor of my home, I have a linksys Network Storage link NSLU2 (with a USB hard drive connected), and a DLINk DSM-320 Media Player. I wanted to connect them, so that I can save media files on NSLU2 hard drive, and play them on TV using DSM-320. But both of them needs connection to second floor router. DSM-320 to go to internet, and

NSLU2 to my computer so I can transfer media files from upstair computer.

To do this, I bought Belkin wireless to ethernet bridge (FD7330), and LINKSYS 5 port ethernet switch (EZXS55W). I connected NSLU2 , media player DSM-320 & Wireless Bridge FD7330 to the switch EZXS55W. I thought that the bridge will connect NSLU2 & DSM320 to the second floor

router. It does not work properly. I did configure the NSLU2, Bridge, and & DSM with the 192.168.1.xxx etc, for the upstair router. I am able

to transfer files from the upstair computer to NSLU2. But media player DSM-320 & NSLU2 don't work well when both are turned on. When I player media from DSM320, the video is choppy and the media server running on my upstair computer frequrntly becomes invisible to DSM320.

Please help me to set up the downstir network. Should I buy another wireless router, or a bridge or an access point? A call to LINKSYS support was not helpful.

Thanks,

Bharat

Reply to
Bharat
Loading thread data ...

Problem Solved.

Based on everything I read about the bridge setup on TomsNetworking site, it should have worked. So went to Belkin website, downloaded the latest firmware BELKIN_EB_1.00.09WIZ1.0.0.9 and flashed the bridge. It has been working like a charm for last 24 hours.

Basically, before the firmware update, Belkin bridge was only good for one ethernet device. That is why when I had put two on the switch, it was having random problems. I think the new firmware supports multiple device connections (on a switch) to the access point on other side of the bridge. So anyone interested in doing that, Belkin F5D7330 is a good solution with the new firmawre.

Reply to
Bharat

formatting link
has a Motorola Wireless bridge WE800G for $39.00 that should do the trick, but it looks like you tried that. Do you have all the wireless stuff broadcasting on different channels? Are you signal strengths decent? Do losses correlate to use of a microwave or cordless phone. Maybe the above will spark an idea. gr

Reply to
gr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.