Not getting anything over a wireless network?

My Windows XP laptop with a D-Link AirPlus G Wireless Adaptor works over a Roadrunner connection at home. But the laptop doesn't work at my office. I don't know who the service provider is. Very likely it's Verizon DSL. The signal is strong. I can connect to it. But IE won't pull anything from the web. Even tried with the Norton firewall turned off. Please help.

The ping result is:

C:\\Documents and Settings\\user377>ping

formatting link
Ping request could not find host
formatting link
Please check the name and try again.

Reply to
user377
Loading thread data ...

Talk to the IT folks at the office, they may have extra security in place that you'll need to be registered with.

What's ipconfig/all show when you are connected at the office?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

There is no IT people here. Small offices. Everyone does his own IT. The ipconfig/all data that I posted on my first post is what I get at the office. It looks all fine to me.

Reply to
user377

So you are connected to an AP that you don't know the owner of? And you are wondering why it doesn't work? Go ask the owner.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

All it shows is that the router has handed you an IP address.

You need to confirm that the router itself is connected to the internet and has working DNS servers. The router will have a status screen listing it's public IP address and DNS addresses, what are those?

Reply to
David Taylor

user377 hath wroth:

Please don't use -- as a section seperator. Usenet news uses that to seperate the signature from the body of the message. When I try to reply with Forte Agenet, everything below the first -- gets removed.

Everything looks fine. However, I'm suspicious about the assigned IP address. Your unsecified model office wireless router probably starts assigning IP's at 192.168.1.2 and works its way up. If it assigned you .47, my guess is that the DHCP database is full and might be causing a problem. Try to find the wireless router and give it a power cycle.

Also, try to ping 192.168.1.1. That should work. If not, fix or disable the firewall. Some are not easy to disable. If ping works, try pointing your web browser at http://192.168.1.1 and see if you can dive into the router config pages. If whomever set it up without wireless encryption also didn't bother to assign a router password, you can check the setting to see if there's anything blocking access, such as IP or MAC filters or RADIUS authentication. The default router passwords can be found via Google once you identify the make and model number of the wireless router.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.