Trouble Connecting Access Points

I'm a relative neophyte and haven't been able to find specific instruction on how to accomplish my task with my wireless network. I bought a Belkin WAP to connect to my wired ActionTec gateway which is what Qwest gave me when I picked up their DSL service. Everything's running fine, and then my neighbor decides to ask me if we could get in a sharing arrangement. Problem is, he can only get a low signal trying to see mine. So, I had him buy another Belkin WAP. The instructions state you can connect router to WAP, but not WAP to WAP. However, on my WAP, it allows me to specify APs that can connect. Long story short, he can see his Access Point (which has a different SSID) and everything else is the same (Channel ID, WEP settings). However, he's not able to get to the internet (his WAP is not hooked to my router). Is this not possible to do? Is the only way to accomplish this through an antenna booster/etc. for my current WAP?

Thanks,

Matt

Reply to
Mtmartin71
Loading thread data ...

Everything's

I haven't changed the SSIDs to the same name yet. As far as mode, I have it enabled to accept other access points and I also have his WLAN MAC address in my access point. For his access point, he only has it checked to enable APs to connect, but he doesn't have my MAC address. It states you only need at least one to know about the other.

We decided we're going to try an antenna boost. Our houses are close enough that I think it will work.

Thanks,

Matt

Reply to
Mtmartin71

instructions

router).

through

2 different SSIDs = 2 different networks,, have you tried making them the same, What mode is your wap in? bridge,AP,Client and his??
Reply to
Airhead

Maybe just take his AP, set its antenna infront of a window facing his house that doesn't have bushes line of site, run a network cable to this second AP from your router. Now you'll have better coverage in your house and hopefully he can at least connect from your side of his house.

Reply to
bumtracks

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.