Toshiba Satellite L10 Laptop and wireless that doesn't refresh the list of networks.

Hello everybody.

I've got a laptop Toshiba Satellite L10 that wasn't originally equipped with Mini PCMCIA wireless card. Recently I've bought one (proved to be working on a different laptop). When using in mine, it is detected properly but cannot reach any networks. Clearly, it does not list any available networks and even does not try. When refreshing the list, it just goes straightforward to a conclusion that no networks are available. Obviously, I've connected two aerials as well. The card is Atheros 5001X+, op. system windows 2003 (the same problem occurs for win

2000). I've tried already 3/4 different compatible drivers. I just wonder, whether it has sth to do with not existing wireless on/off switch - there is just a place on the front of the laptop casing meant for that. Is there any chance, that the transmitting is switched off for any reason. How to get it working?

Cheers, P.

Reply to
A n g l e r
Loading thread data ...

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 13:04:28 +0100, "A n g l e r" wrote in :

There might not be any antennas, notwithstanding the wires you've connected.

That would be another possibility.

I suggest trying to get a copy of the hardware maintenance manual, which might tell you whether your machine is wireless capable or not, and what you might be able to do if it isn't.

Reply to
John Navas

Hi.

I've bought two aerial pieces and they work fine with wireless on different laptops.

I cannot get it, Toshiba web page seems to be rubbish to me. I assume that laptop is capable of handling wireless MiniPCI card since it's equipped with that connector and card's been installed and detected properly. What next? Is there any universal software that could enable the radio?

Reply to
A n g l e r

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 11:26:14 +0100, "A n g l e r" wrote in :

Then the radio is probably powered off.

Not that I know of. Toshibas have given me nothing but grief, especially in the wireless area.

Reply to
John Navas

Hiah!

Here it goes. The problem was really pathetic! That place for the radio on/off button has turned out to be a button in fact. It was like glued and therefore blocked. I couldn't press it but I decided to force it yesterday to see whether it could be opened somehow (in order to see what's there). After a while it started moving and an LED lit up. It even does not look like a button. Good grief!

Cheers.

Reply to
A n g l e r

Could be worse... my gateway even cheaper than my toshiba) has a button that doesn't do anything/work at all, and you have to do a function-f2 to toggle wireless (and the light) on/off... :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.