Strange routerproblem?

had a Belkin .54 router. The thing has functioned well for years with occasionally a reboot. 4 machines are using it, one a floor above me, the other a floor below, mine on my floor (surprise :p) and my mediaplayer (DSM-520 > Wireless HD Media Player,

formatting link
Since saturday I can connect to the router only for a few seconds. It has trouble releasing DHCP adresses. If I connect to it using a wire the thing functions great. But wireless? No way Jos=E9! This goes for the other machines (a laptop W2K, an desktop XP Home SP2 and the mediaplayer)

I thought that the router had died on me so I bought a new one (F5D7230-4) G+ standard.

I see a radically improved signal (always at high level OR completely invisible) but connection is, even with a strong signal, dropping all the time.

Last night it has worked swell for three hours, then suddenly it stopped.

I have reset the router to factory settings, still hard to connect wireless to it. Hit-and-miss. I have shut down anything electronic in the house (I went as far as switching off the lights and shutting down Bluetooth on my phone, it is in the same freq range) I have moved the router (effective only when I put it side-by-side with my machine, max 2 meter) I tried configuring the thing on different channels, protected mode on/ off, different speeds, with/without security. I applied the latest firmware. I tried configuring it with/without the supplied easy install wizard. Firewalls on/off (as well on router as on machines) Specific settings in the firewalls......................

Now the order of events: I buy a mediaplayer, connect it wireless to the router (WEP 128 bit), things work swell. I play my musicfiles on my HES and listen to internetradio. I am happy. Saturday afternoon connection gets faulty, PC has trouble connecting, mediaplayer also and at 17:30 connection drops alltogether.... mediaplayer shut down and removed. No effect tried several things but connection will not come up again for more then a few seconds. I figure the router finally has died after so many faithfull years of service (though I could not imagine why) and I buy a new one. Same problems. Shut down/disconnect anything electronic up to my TV and HES that are pretty close to the router and the cable-modem.

No avail.

When I scan for networks in the neighbourhood on my machine (Vista) I see only two wireless networks that have been there for three years. Very weak in signal, whereas my signal is strong and healthy. On the mediaplayer, when scanning, I see a Thompson router that shows up on no other systems. On the system above me (XP) I see another wireless network, very weak in signal and the person below me (laptop 2000) sees only my network

Doed anyone have any clues to what this problem might be?

Reply to
Henrootje
Loading thread data ...

Likely cause of your problem is non-Wi-Fi (or hidden SSID) wireless interference. See wikis below for possible causes. As a start, try different channels with minimal overlap (1, 6, 11).

On 3 Apr 2007 01:21:31 -0700, "Henrootje" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

The Vista 64bit beta F5D7000 V6 driver did it for me. (even though my card is the first version of the F5D7000) Combined with completely(!) shutting down DHCP on router and Vista and setting WPA2.

Ignoring either one of these conditions killed internet on my Vista.

ekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Reply to
Henrootje

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.