Netgear WG602 V2 Not Working With WEP

The Netgear WG602 V2 has WEP options for Authentication that lets you use Open System or Shared Key. Shared Key requires you to set a long Hexadecimal key. Open System works fine, but WEP Shared Key always fails. The Internet is loaded with people who have this same product who make the same complaint. The same posts say that Netgear's support people are useless and don't understand the issue and don't have suggestions to fix the problem. Those posts are older than a year so maybe something changed.

Is there a specific version of WG602 V2 firmware that is known to fix this bug?

Reply to
Will
Loading thread data ...

Can someone also explain what are the security implications of using WEP with "Open System" authentication?

Reply to
Will

"Will" hath wroth:

Open System authentication is basically no authentication at all. However, shared key authentication makes it fairly easy to extract the WEP key. As the lesser evil, Open System is better. See: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
The original WG602 does not support WPA, but your V2 version does. Any particular reason why you're using WEP, which is known to be crackable, instead of WPA, with is far more secure?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Interesting reading. How easily can they break the WEP key using Open System?

The client doesn't appear to have any support for WPA.

Reply to
Will

"Will" hath wroth:

I don't know. I've never tried it that way. It sounds fairly easy. Quoting the above URL: For shared key authentication, the Access Point (AP) generates some random string of ASCII, sends it CLEARTEXT to the Station, the station encrypts it using his configured WEP key, sends it ENCRYPTED to the AP, and the AP then decrypts it to see if the starting ASCII string is produced. This is meant to insure both sides have the same key. The problem is that 2 of 3 parts of the encryption scheme are sent over the air, and makes it much easier for a hacker to figure out the WEP key. So, by sniffing the traffic, I can get the random string directly. I can also get the encrypted hash code by sniffing. As I vaguely recall (not sure, might be wrong, too lazy to check), it's not really "encrypted" but a simple XOR of the ASCII string and the WEP key. Running another XOR against the hash code should recover the WEP key. Way too easy.

The program WEPWedgie does a better job by creating customized WEP packets, cramming them into the wireless traffic, and decrypting the WEP key from the encrypted results. Also too easy:

formatting link
formatting link
are some notes on using it for cracking the WEP key using the shared key authentication exchange. Have fun.

Ummmm... there are other ways to obtain WPA-PSK client support. Can you supply some details on the client? Make, model, hardware mutation, operating system?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The client device is a Viewsonic V150 wireless tablet. This device is a flash-based RDP client. Our warehouse manager uses it to login to her Windows desktop via RDP from a portable cart. It's a fantastic little device, and I'm shocked that after so many years the idea has not caught on better. Viewsonic really hurts this product by only releasing in 800x600 resolution. A 1280x1024 version would phenomenal.

It looks to me like this tablet is running an older Windows CE as its own OS. They have a newer model that does Windows CE 5.0, and I could upgrade us to that if I could be convinced it would significantly improve on the wireless security.

Reply to
Will

"Will" hath wroth:

This review claims that the V150 does 1024x768: |

formatting link

It's not even a full version of Windoze CE. It's "Windoze CE for Smart Displays" which is a subset of CE something. I couldn't determine the exact base version.

802.11b only with no easy way to upgrade. Y'er stuck with WEP.

Methinks you could do better using VNC and a Tablet PC.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Of course you could do better, but then you would need to

a) Pay for a full tablet b) Pay a LOT more for the time to install the OS, secure the OS, configure the OS c) Wait a LOT longer every time you want to boot it up and use it

The V150 boots in about 10 seconds and is ready for immediate use. It's a very nifty appliance, and the more I use computers the more I realize we need more special purpose appliances, not hours of our time wasted trying to make the general purpose appliance (the computer) suitable for specific applications.

In any case, thanks for confirming the capabilities of the V150.

Reply to
Will

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.