setting ip address to forward to

Im trying to get wake-on-lan to work, Ive enabled it in my motherboard. My NIC supports it and since the motherboard is PCI 2.2 compliant I

*dont* have a cable running from the NIC's WOL connector to the motherboards WOL connector.

I know my NIC's MAC address.

In the router, I have selected to forward anything on PORT 9 (UDP), but the problem is it doesnt allow me to forward to a MAC address only to an IP address. Since the router automatically assigns a new ip address to the computer I want to wake, I dont know what the ip address will be. I can set my computer to a static ip address, but wont this cause a conflict with the dhcp of the router?

Alterantively, I can assign an aribitrary IP address in the router (within the local LAN IP range), but is there perhaps a default IP address in the NIC itself that needs to be used?? If so, how can I find my NICs IP address?

Im using this to test:

formatting link
Thanks!

Reply to
benn686
Loading thread data ...

On 13 Aug 2006 15:05:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in :

Read up on Wake-on-LAN; e.g.,

What you need is router support for directed broadcasts, which most low-end routers lack because directed-broadcasts is a security risk (Smurf attacks) and isn't of much interest to the home market in any event. Thus you'll normally find this only in more sophisticated products

Buffalo AirStation 125 High-Speed Mode Wireless Secure Remote Gateway

Explicit Wake-On-LAN feature

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.