Wake on WLAN

Would anyone happen to know if it's possible to configure my wireless card to wake my laptop? I have the Intel Pro 2200BG and a Linksys WRT54G v2 router. I've spent several hours trying to find a way to set this up, with no success.

Thanks.

-phil

Reply to
Phil
Loading thread data ...

"Phil" hath wroth:

Sure. Intel Proset 10 for your 2200BG card supports wake-on-lan (magic packet). I think you have to enable it in the Proset setup. You might want to use your ethernet LAN card for initial testing and then deal with the wireless card. The LAN card is easier. If I PCI card, make sure the WOL cable is installed.

Test your laptop first without the router with another computer. Note that you cannot turn OFF the laptop with WOL, only turn it on. Use one of the numerous utilites found on the internet such as:

formatting link
formatting link
Once that is working, you can configure your router to handle WOL from the internet with somewhat of a kludge.

1. Setup the router to always point to the same DHCP assigned IP address for your laptop using "DHCP reservation" or "static DHCP".
  2. Pick any port number (e.g. 12345) and configure port forwarding in your router to point to your laptop's IP address.
  3. Record the MAC address of your 2200BG wireles card.
  4. Use this page for testing:
    formatting link
    use one of the previously mentioned WOL applications. The port number is the number you configured in step #2 (i.e. 12345). The MAC address is that of your 2200BG, and not the router.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

First off, thanks so much for your detailed instructions.

Ok, I have Intel ProSet version 10.1.0.6 and I do not see any area in the Application Settings or Adapter Settings where I can enable Wake on WLAN (wireless). I did, however, manage to get Wake on LAN setup and working, using wake-on-lan-cmd.aspx. I have port 7 forwarded on the router to my laptop's IP and when I send a packet to the onboard LAN card's MAC address, it wakes up. When I try sending the packet to the Intel PRO 2200BG MAC address, the laptop does not wake-up. In both cases, I am sending the magic packet via Local Subnet (192.168.1.101), as I only need to be able to wake the laptop from within the LAN. (When I try sending the packet via Internet, neither device will wake the laptop.)

Since my router's current firmware does not support Static DHCP, the above was all done with typical DHCP settings. I'm going to search for a 3rd party firmware for my WRT54G, that supports Static DHCP, and see if that makes any difference.

If you have anything else to suggest, I'm all ears, as they say.

Thanks.

-phil

Reply to
Phil

"Phil" hath wroth:

Ooops. It's listed as a feature for the Intel Pro 3945ABG, not the

2200BG. See: |
formatting link
search for "wake on wlan".

Sorry. I was wrong. No WOL support for the 2200BG.

For the WRT54G v2, I would recommend DD-WRT.

formatting link
's a bit difficult to find the "latest" version. Despite the name, I suggest you try the latest from "V23 SP1 beta" which is in the

2006-0415 directory.

The reserved DHCP addresses are buried under: Administration -> Services -> DHCPd as "static leases".

Nope. One wrong answer (per day) is bad enough. No need for me to make it worse by offering untested suggestions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Update: I flashed my WRT54G v2 with the DD-WRT v23 firmware, and setup Static DHCP. Unfortunately, when I send the magic packet to the laptop's reserved IP, with the correct MAC address, it still doesn't wake. Indeed, I am perplexed.

-phil

Reply to
Phil

Magic Packets won't get routed on the internet will they? I thought that was part of the magic.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

I have only been able to get WoL working within in my LAN. Sending packets over the internet doesn't seem to work. AS for WoWLAN: I have not had any luck, whatsoever. While I'm now fairly certain that the Intel Pro 2200BG does support WoWLAN, I do not think my Inspiron 6000's mobo supports WoWLAN.

-phil

P.S. If I did not respond directly to any of you who provided answers, my NNTP host is a big POS, and drops headers. Thanks to all who responded.

Reply to
Phil

Works for me. Follow the instructions I posted and it works through my WRT54G.

formatting link
use it to wake up my office desktop computah in case I need something. The trick is to use the forwarded port number to redirect a broadcast packet.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Obviously, you also need to be able to send the magic packet /to/ your router. If you're behind a corporate firewall that'll require some sweet-talking to the admins. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I use PCnet Magic Packet within my network. Sends a broadcast over

255.255.255.255 Over the internet I use a Ovislink WL-1000UR. Supports WOL on its own (Magic pakket). Only, I have this router since a few days. I didn't had time to get it working yet. Peter
Reply to
PeterNL

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.