Security protection out of range of router.

With my laptop setup for WPA personal security, am i still protected out of range of my router when i pick up someone else's signal?

Reply to
shareyourknowledge
Loading thread data ...

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" hath wroth:

No. You're NOT protected. The encryption setting is set by the wireless access point, not by your client. If you go to a wireless hot spot, that does NOT have encryption enabled, then everything you send and receive can be sniffed by evil bad guys like me.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I thought so. Just wanted to be sure. I used to work with a Jeff Lieberman at a retail garden center in Diamond Bar, Calif.Would you be that same Jeff?

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" hath wroth:

Nope, not me. However, I did go to skool at nearby Cal Poly, Pomona. I left the area in about 1971.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

If that access point is not secured, nor are you. But when you stated that you set up wpa, that was for one wireless router. If you use a different signal, and have not set up WPA for that one as well, you are not protected.

Reply to
Dana

Note please that for MS connection manager there's an "advanced" config window with choices of Networks to access (any avail, access pt {infrastructure} only, comp- to-comp {ad-hoc} only) and check-box for "Auto-connect to non-preferred."

The default settings are truly idiotic; strongly suggested are "access pt only" and UNchecked "auto-connect to non-preferred."

Misconfigure this, and you're still pretty exposed.

J
Reply to
barry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.