restrict bandwisth on Linksys WRT54G

It's on the Gameing and Applications page under QoS (Quality of Service). If you are using DHCP to assign IP addresses, be sure to setup that addresses under "Static DHCP" so that it doesn't change. If it's plugged into an ethernet port, you can also select QoS by ethernet port.

I've been playing with different incantations of the WRT54G firmware. All of them them have various levels of QoS or bandwidth management. However, I've noticed that DD-WRT has added a WonderShaper feature by which it can filter by application such as "bittorrent" or "voip". Looks useful but I haven't tried it yet.

formatting link
The problems start when you want to restrict some users traffic, but they want to use VoIP, streaming video, or other form of time sensitive content. That can make crude bandwidth management by IP less than useful and rather complex. After reading:
formatting link
decided that I wasn't going to write the ultimate bandwidth management script. Anyway, think about what you really want to control.

For additional Linksys specific help, I suggest the forums at:

formatting link
formatting link
search for "QoS".

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Does anyone know of a way to restrict bandwidth to a specific IP address on the WRT54G. What I have is a machine that is used by family for general Internet activity, but the other machine is used for business and i want to ensure that this always has 75% of the bandwidth.

Any help would be great.

Thanks Shacks

Reply to
Richard

Have you tried the QoS settings to specify the quality of service by either protocol, mac address or port? Can't remember which of these are in the stock firmware now but the Sveasoft firmware provides plenty of options for QoS.

Specifying an absolute bandwidth is fundamentally flawed. Typically you want a priority system and that's what QoS aims to do for you.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Thanks david, I had seen something about Qos else where but was not sure how it workS. I'll have a look at my config and see if i can work it out.

Reply to
Richard

Thanks, I'd seen DD-Wrt and noticed you could do it on applicaions, which to be honest may be the best solution . I'll have aplay and see which gives me the best results , with the least complaints from the others.

Reply to
Richard

Maybe netlimiter might do the trick ?

Reply to
ReginaldP

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.