Long Range WIFI

I'm one of the unfortunate people that lives in a rural area without high speed internet access. My dial up is 22K, which gives me ample time to get other things done while I surf. I could get a satellite system but this is $60/ month with up front costs. I have a Flyin J truck stop about 4.5 miles from my home and they charge $200/year for

500Kbs. I was wanting to find out if anyone had any experience in using a antenna to access WIFI at a distance like this. I actually have a 10ft satellite dish I could use but don't know if the mesh is to wide for a 2.4Ghz wave length. I live on flat ground with some tree lines and buildings between me and the truck stop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

Reply to
Dsmoker
Loading thread data ...

Find a local ham radio operator to ask about antenna location. Here's a page about using a satellite dish for wifi,

formatting link
Elmer

Reply to
elmer
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Another possible option, if available in your location, is cellular. Both Verizon (CDMA 1x/EV-DO) and Cingular (GPRS/EGPRS/EDGE) have unlimited data packages at $60/month with speeds that may be far higher than your dialup (100-300 Kbps). T-Mobile has an unlimited data package at $20/month with a voice plan or $30/month without a voice plan, but current speeds are limited to GPRS (40-50 Kbps).

Reply to
John Navas

With anything but an absolutely clear line of sight between you and the truck stop Wifi simply will not work. Sorry.

David _________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 140,000 groups Unlimited download

formatting link
to open account

Reply to
David Goodenough

How many other people / houses are between you and the truck stop? It may not be possible with the treelines blocking your line of sight, but you could relay the signal through houses or other people along the way. By doing that, you could blast a signal through the trees and it would be more likley to work because of the shorter distance.

You could share the connection and divide the cost among the people or provide them with free internet. If you can negotiate and create a relay system, you should be able to get through the trees.

Reply to
Ray Taylor

The truck stop has (2) directional antennas, which are only mounted about

10Ft high and pointed at the truck lot. I do not know how much power they are sending out so I don't know what is available.

Tim

Reply to
Dsmoker

Unfortunately they are about 60 degrees to the west of me. I think the beam is pretty narrow so this limits my ability to catch the signal.

Tim

Reply to
Dsmoker

Are those pointed toward you?

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.