Linksys WRT54g

Just bought this wireless router and the admin panel doesn't load properly. I can log in using the password, but the page never loads properly - IE reports a stack of javascript errors (null objects and so on) so the page is just a bunch of empty text boxes and pull-down menus with nothing in them (and a single ampersand which is a hyperlink to another messed-up page). Is this a known issue? Is it fixable or do I need to swap the router?

Thanks to anyone who can advise...

Reply to
Miss Scully
Loading thread data ...

Definitely fixable with patience. ;) I've read of others with your problem at the dslreports.com web site, in the LinkSys forum. Sorry I don't remember how they resolved their problem, because I was looking for something else.

Do you have another browser you can try?

I have a WRT54G that I installed recently and had no problems with the admin page formatting or loading using Mozilla [SeaMonkey]. However, I did have some initial problems... getting it to *accept* any password... until I disabled my AV... and Firewall. [I was reluctant to disable my firewall.]

Did you log in with username "blank" and the default password "admin"? [ I wasn't sure "the" password meant the default.] Someone else here, or at the BBR forum should be able to help you. bj

Reply to
chicagofan

Most likely, you have disabled something on IE, like Javascripting . You can install Firefox free which that has the touck and feel of IE.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I've tried it with IE and Firefox, but both have the same issue. I have found some things on another forum suggesting ZoneAlarm may be the problem, but I don't have that running at the moment so it can't be that. I do have antivirus running and I'm pretty paranoid about switching it off!

Yes, I am using blank and 'admin'. I even tried with the username 'admin' and password 'admin' which produced exactly the same result.

Reply to
Miss Scully

I know what you mean. I was more concerned about my firewall than the AV. However, I had to get over it, because I got nowhere with either one active. The router has a firewall handling inbound traffic, which I wasn't thinking about at the time, or I wouldn't have stalled for so long. ;)

I would muster up the courage to disable the AV, and give it a try. :) bj

Reply to
chicagofan

Well, I turned off my AV and all my anti-spyware progs and still no joy. I've checked all my security settings and can't see anything that may be affecting it. I don't really want to sit here all night fighting with the stupid thing when it's clearly got a mind of its own, so I'm thinking I'll take the simple option... back in the box, and tomorrow back to the store to demand a swap. Unless anyone can suggest a fix in the next ten minutes, of course!

Reply to
Miss Scully

LOL! OK... here is one man's solution from the LinkSys BBR forum:

-----

I ran across this with my new WRT54G v6 Router also.

I found this solution on another www site and it works great:

1. Disable Zone Alarm
  2. pull up the Router Configuration Screens from your browser »192.168.1.1
  3. Goto the Administration page, Uncheck HTTP under Web Access and Check Off HTTPS.
  4. Exit Browser
  5. Reactivate Zone Alarm

You will now be able to access your routers configuration screens but you have to make sure that you use »https://192.168.1.1 (Accept Certificate)

Reply to
chicagofan

Forgot to ask if you have java or java script *blocked* in your browser programs. That is always asked in those forums

Have you tried using the "reset" button on the back of the router... after ... you have disabled all of these superfluous programs? bj

Reply to
chicagofan

Miss Scully wrote: > Unless anyone can suggest a fix in the next ten minutes, of course!

As a last resort, here are the recommendations about solving java script problems with IE from Microsoft:

formatting link
Good luck! bj

Reply to
chicagofan

I assume you know that the only way to have ZA not running is to uninstall it.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I got a replacement router and it's working fine now. I can assure you ZA ain't running, although I never actually uninstalled it. But that can't have been the problem anyway, cuz it's working now - thanks all for your help!

Reply to
Miss Scully

|Just bought this wireless router and the admin panel doesn't load properly. |I can log in using the password, but the page never loads properly - IE |reports a stack of javascript errors (null objects and so on) so the page is |just a bunch of empty text boxes and pull-down menus with nothing in them |(and a single ampersand which is a hyperlink to another messed-up page). Is |this a known issue? Is it fixable or do I need to swap the router? | |Thanks to anyone who can advise...

I'm guessing you're using their software, not just a browser.

Been awhile since I set one up where I volunteer, but I'll pass on a few suggestions. Rrule 1 is the only thing you want from the CD is the manual. Forget the software!

Now with the manual, search for information on the string "web-based" which will get you to the web based utility., so you can use almost any browser at all to set up and configure. All you need is its IP number (see the manual) and your password. If you have to, you can reset the Linksys to its defaults with a button on it.

If IE still gives you trouble with this, either reinstall IE or try one of its betters from

formatting link
or
formatting link

Reply to

If you didn't uninstall it, then its still running, even if you disabled the GUI and turned off any services. There's a system-level driver that cannot be disabled except by removing it.

Indeed.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.