Setting up logging on my Linksys WRT54G

I can't figure out where I need to put the info for the computer I want to log in my router's set up window. When I go into the "Administration" tab, it has a tab to "enable" logging and after I check that and save settings, it doesn't allow me to put any other info. I downloaded the "log viewer" program from the Linksys web site but no logging as been added.

Reply to
Art Harrington
Loading thread data ...

"Art Harrington" wrote in news:FO6dnTVL snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

You either put in 192.168.1.255 which means broadcast the log information to all private side IP(s)/machines, or you enter 192.168.1.100 as an example of the IP/machine you want the router to broadcast the log to. At least that's how it works on my Linksys router.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Reply to
Art Harrington

"Art Harrington" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

There should be a tab called *LOG* in the Admin screens with a selection Send Log to: where you complete the IP address. It should be in the manual, or search Google on the how to for the router model or call Linksys Tech support as they should be able to answer the question, if you cannot find the answer.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I think Duane may have a different Linksys router or maybe a different firmware version (ie one from a 3rd party). I'm using Linksys stock firmware on my WRT54G and the only thing under Log is enable or disable. BTW, its a known fact among WRT54G users that the logging function has never worked properly. Again, this may be different if using one of the 3rd party firmwares which are available but I haven't tried them.

Reply to
jch

And it is completely incorrect. Linksys has simply "bulked" their routers into the same search reference.

This is something I didn't expect when I bought this. If I had know this funtion was lost, I would have bought one of the Super-G Dlink routers for less money.

Reply to
strommsarnac

"jch" wrote in news:2dFKc.91$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews2.bellsouth.net:

Yes, I have an 11S4 version one router. The 54G could be different than the rest of the firmware for the Linksys router. If the logging doesn't work for the 54G, then that's kind of sad on Linksys' part.

However, I did go to Linksys Support Knowledge Base and entered *WRT54G Logging*. The search retuned an article basically describing the same thing I have explained. It seemed to be applied to all Linksys router models.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Well, if this is the case, then it's too bad. Maybe, Linksys/Cisco will get it corrected.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

They sort of have. The higher end model (single antenna, silver box) does have external logging features. Only it's about $180us last time I bought one for a client.

Reply to
strommsarnac

Reply to
strommsarnac

Although the standard Linksys WRT54G router does not provide external logging, Sveasoft has enhanced the Firmware to use IPTables-style logging, and WallWatcher supports that router/firmware combination. The WallWatcher author has never used that router, so this is not necessarily an endorsment or recommendation to use modified Firmware. An excellent independent source of information about Linksys Routers is the Users' Forum at DSL Reports.

formatting link

Reply to
goofy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.